Write a Letter to Accompany a Contribution to a Good Cause • Example Letters and Guides
A letter accompanying a donation to a good cause expresses pleasure in giving the donation and describes any details regarding use of the donation. It may also comment on the person in whose name the donation is given. If you expect to receive any consideration in return, such as a public acknowledgment of your gift, mention that briefly.
How to write this goodwill letter:
- State the amount you are sending. Tell the reader if you are giving the gift in someone's honor or if there are any restrictions or stipulations on its use.
- If appropriate, explain briefly what prompted your decision to make the contribution, or describe the person in whose name the donation is being made. If you expect any recognition for the donation, note that briefly.
- Close on a positive note.
Example Letter #1
In memory of my deceased grandfather, John Doe, our family wishes to donate $20,000 toward the building of your new library.
Throughout his years, Grandfather stressed the importance of education and reading to all of his children and grandchildren. We feel that this is what he would have wanted us to do with the money that he left for charity.
Thank you for helping us honor his memory in this way. Best wishes to you as you complete the building.
Example Letter #2
In the name of the Doe family, I am pleased to send a check for $500 payable to the March of Dimes. Two years ago the March of Dimes came to our family's assistance, and we appreciated it very much indeed. Now we want to help another family, as we were helped.
Example Letter #3
We have learned that your daughter, Jane, requires a kidney transplant and we want to help. Please accept the enclosed $l,000 check to help with her medical bills. We wish it could be more. We extend our best wishes for a successful surgery.
Example Letter #4
In memory of my mother, I would like to contribute $1,000 a year to set up the Jane Doe Memorial scholarship fund for needy undergraduate students. Although my mother completed only one year of college, she emphasized the value of a good education to her nine children. Many of us have gone on to obtain advanced degrees. She would be happy to sponsor a student in financial need so he or she could complete a college degree. Thank you for honoring my request to set up this fund.
Example Letter #5
Attached you will find a check made payable to your organization. I admire your work in the community and your diligent efforts to improve the world around us. I am honored to present you with this contribution and hope that it will help provide you with the resources you need to continue your endeavors.
I know that your organization goes above and beyond the call of duty. You represent all that is good, wholesome, ethical, and moral in a fund-raising organization. You can be assured that your efforts are greatly appreciated not only by me but by most members of this community. I look forward to seeing the continued progress you will make in the near future.
Example Letter #6
After recently hearing about (Name of Organization), I spent some time researching the concept and purpose driving the organization, and I found myself deeply connected to your cause. You are addressing real problems in our society, and because I admire the integrity and efficiency with which you use your resources to establish services and directly support your target populations, I am writing today to express my support of your pursuit in the form of a monetary donation. Thank you for your courage and vision. Please keep up the good work.
Example Letter #7
The services provided by your organization are valuable and necessary in our present day circumstances. When I think of all the people you have helped already, and when I think of the vast number of people still in need, I feel not only deeply grateful for your courage and vision, but also strongly compelled to help support your good cause. Although the enclosed donation is, of necessity, not as expansive as my emotional and intellectual support, I hope it provides at least a small amount of assistance toward the continuation of your services.
Again, thank you for all that you do.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 State the amount you are sending. Tell the reader if you are giving the gift in someone's honor or if there are any restrictions or stipulations on its use.
Sentences for Step 1
- On behalf of my late parents, Joseph and June Doe, I am pleased to make this donation of $100,000 to the Springfield Community College for the children of Doe employees.
- Enclosed is a contribution of $100 for the new children's wing of the Springfield Public Library.
- On behalf of Doe's employees, I am enclosing a check for $500 to be used for the Kansas flood relief project.
- Thank you for your letter of July 31. I had not realized how much the demands on our local shelter had grown. In response, I am enclosing a donation of $50.
- As an alumnus of Doe State University, I am pleased to donate $1,000 to my Alma Mater's excellent athletics program.
Phrases for Step 1
- am enclosing a check for
- am enclosing a donation of
- am happy to be able to
- am pleased to make this donation
- are happy to contribute
- enclosed is a contribution of
- enclosed is our donation of
- his will stipulated that
- in memory of
- in honor of
- in response to your appeal
- on the occasion of
- on the anniversary of
- on behalf of
- place no restrictions on
- thank you for the opportunity to
- to help your cause
- to be used for
- to assist in the
- would like to present
- would like you to use the money for
2 If appropriate, explain briefly what prompted your decision to make the contribution, or describe the person in whose name the donation is being made. If you expect any recognition for the donation, note that briefly.
Sentences for Step 2
- As I am sure you recall, John and Jane were committed to education, to their employees, and to Doe Community College. Doe's legal department has assured me that all the paperwork has been received by your office. We look forward to offering the John and Jane Doe's Scholarship beginning this fall.
- I still remember the day my mother helped me sign up for my first library card. Ever since then all of our children have benefited greatly from the excellent reading programs you have offered. John and I look forward to seeing our names on the "Donor Wall."
- Since the news reports of the flooding last month, employees have made donation cans and have distributed them to local businesses. The employees themselves have donated over half the amount collected.
- I have also posted your letter in the employee lounge, where I believe your request for fresh produce is being enthusiastically received.
- I understand that my donation will entitle me to two free tickets to the Coach's Banquet in September.
Phrases for Step 2
- a small way of saying thank you for
- all the good that you do
- am solidly behind your efforts to
- appreciate your efforts
- are happy to give a little back to
- are happy to contribute to
- can think of no better way to
- feel that we have greatly benefited from
- have seen a few of the results of
- if there is any more that we can do
- is a pleasure to be involved in a small way
- know that she would have appreciated
- look forward to seeing our names
- on the list of contributors
- our hearts go out to
- since we received the news reports of
- such an excellent cause
- understand that our donation will entitle us to
- would be pleased if our name were included
- would prefer that you not publish our
3 Close on a positive note.
Sentences for Step 3
- Thank you for your assistance in setting up this scholarship fund.
- I am sure our grandchildren will spend many happy hours in the library's new children's wing.
- We hope this money will help a few more families get back on their feet. Best wishes to you in your vital work.
- Thank you for your tireless efforts on behalf of the community!
- I look forward to seeing you at the banquet and enjoying another fine season with our teams.
Phrases for Step 3
- am happy to support this effort
- appreciate all you do for
- best wishes to you in
- certainly appreciate your efforts
- get back on their feet
- good luck with your efforts
- in this important work
- make a difference in the lives of
- opening up opportunities to
- public-spirited people like you
- thank you for your hard work
- thank you for getting this set up
- thank you for the opportunity to
- this opportunity to
- to make a real difference to
- to help your cause
- will help a few needy
- will be a blessing to the community
- your tireless efforts