Introduce Gifts to Customers and Prospective Customers • Example Letters and Guides
Although this letter serves primarily to thank a customer for his or her business, it may also initiate a business relationship with a new customer or promote a new product. The letter should be brief and friendly. If you mention a product or sale, do so briefly.
How to write this goodwill letter:
- Thank the customer for past business or offer a compliment or welcome to a prospective customer as applicable. Briefly describe the gift and the reason for sending it.
- Mention briefly any product or sale, if applicable. Close with a repeated thank you or another positive statement.
Example Letter #1
We were so excited about our new line of office letterhead stationery that we couldn't wait until it hits the market to get your valuable feedback. Therefore, we have enclosed a trial-size packet of the new product with your customized letterhead paper and envelopes absolutely free! I hope you will enjoy our gift and that it will help you achieve success in the new year.
Example Letter #2
To help you get acquainted with Doe's Sweet Treat, please use the enclosed coupon for a free box of caramel corn. Famous for truffles and other imported candies, Doe's now has a Springfield location at 1600 Main Street. Bring the coupon to redeem your free box of gourmet caramel corn and see what Doe's has to offer. We're sure you'll agree that when it comes to candy, Doe's is the sweet treat.
Example Letter #3
If you haven't tried a Doe Soft Pretzel yet, the time is now! When you visit our shop during April, you can trade this coupon for a yummy soft pretzel with garlic, pizza, or cinnamon-sugar flavoring. Once you have tasted our pretzels, we know you'll be back. They are definitely habit forming!
Example Letter #4
We're pleased to welcome you to Springfield's new hospital. As a doctor, you know the strain of being on call 24 hours a day. We hope the enclosed phone message pad will help you keep track of all your calls.
If you would like to find out more about our answering service, which caters specifically to the needs of the medical community, please call about our special introductory rates. We look forward to getting acquainted with you.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Thank the customer for past business or offer a compliment or welcome to a prospective customer as applicable. Briefly describe the gift and the reason for sending it.
Sentences for Step 1
- At this holiday season, we want to thank you for being a faithful customer over the years. As a token of our appreciation, we are enclosing one of our exclusive Doe's snowflake ornaments.
- Welcome to Springfield! We are delighted you have chosen to join our community! The enclosed gift, a vinyl cover for your new telephone directory, provides you with the telephone numbers of the police station, the hospital, medical doctors, dentists, and other service-oriented groups in the Springfield community.
- I am so proud of our new Doe's line of fragrances that I am enclosing a sample of our newest fragrance for you to enjoy. I am sure you will agree that this kind of boldness could take a woman around the globe!
- We certainly appreciate customers like you. To let you know how grateful we are, we are sending you this glow-in-the-dark key chain. We hope when you use it, you will think of us at Doe's.
- Did you know Doe's makes the best pizza in town? We will even deliver one free! Simply call our order line at 555-5555 anytime Monday through Thursday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and ask for your free mini-sample. We will bring it to your Springfield address within 30 minutes.
Phrases for Step 1
- a little gift for the holidays
- a sample of our new
- am so proud of our new line of
- appreciate customers like you
- are delighted that you
- are enclosing one of our
- are delighted to send you
- as our gift to you
- as a token of our appreciation
- at this holiday season
- for being such a loyal customer
- for being such a faithful customer
- for your enjoyment
- giving you the opportunity to
- hope you will enjoy this
- hope you will accept this
- to thank you for your business
- want to thank you for
- are so excited about our
2 Mention briefly any product or sale, if applicable. Close with a repeated thank you or another positive statement.
Sentences for Step 2
- Thank you again for your patronage and happy holidays!
- I hope you will drop by Doe's to see our fine store and become personally acquainted.
- We will offer our new line at an introductory sale price through the month of November.
- Best wishes in the coming year.
- Once you have sampled our pizza, we are sure you will agree--Doe's is the best it can be. Call soon!
Phrases for Step 2
- always a pleasure to serve you
- appreciate your business
- are forwarding a little gift to you
- are part of our family of customers
- are sure that you will enjoy
- best wishes for the coming
- have also enclosed our current catalog
- hope you'll drop by soon
- hope you'll find it exceeds your expectations
- hope you enjoyed the products you ordered
- just to say thank you for
- just a small way of saying thank you for
- small expression of our appreciation
- small token of our appreciation
- thank you for your interest in
- thank you for your confidence in us
- thank you once more for your patronage
- thank you for your recent orders
- thank you for your business
- will be going on sale from