Send a Gift With a Sympathy Letter • Example Letters, Guides and Samples
A sympathy letter accompanying a gift allows you to personalize your expression of sympathy. Such a letter is appropriate whenever you need to express sympathy for a death, an illness, an operation, or other hospital stay. These letters are usually brief and informal.
How to write this goodwill letter:
- Express your sympathy and mention the gift.
- Express your condolences or best wishes.
Example Letter #1
Please accept my sincerest sympathy during this difficult time. As soon as I heard about your father's passing, I went to the bookstore and bought the enclosed book to help you get through your grieving. When my mother passed away, it helped me cope with the shock and feelings of loss. I hope it can do the same for you.
May you take comfort in knowing that your family and friends care deeply for you.
Example Letter #2
We were saddened to hear that little Jane was seriously injured and will be hospitalized for several weeks. When you last visited us, she enjoyed playing with our daughter's Winnie the Pooh, so I thought she would enjoy a Pooh of her own. I hope it will cheer her days and help her on the road to a speedy recovery.
Example Letter #3
The office staff wants you to have this Norfolk Island Pine. We miss you and hope you recover soon. Since you have been away we discovered that we would need three people to replace you, so we appreciate you even more. Get well soon.
Example Letter #4
I was sorry to hear that you're down in bed. I hope these balloons will help lift your spirits. If there's anything that John or I can do, remember we're only a phone call away!
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Express your sympathy and mention the gift.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- I was sorry to hear about your son's accident. I thought he might enjoy reading this novel that I enjoyed at his age.
- When I heard you would be in traction for at least a week, I knew just what to get you--a book of brain teasers.
- Jane and I were saddened to hear of your loss. Everyone in town knew and loved your mother. Please accept these flowers as our parting gift to a dear friend.
- I am sorry to hear you are down in bed. This potted plant comes with our best wishes for a speedy recovery.
- Since you will be in the hospital for a week, we thought you could do with a change from those breezy hospital gowns, so we all chipped in on this nightgown.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- a parting gift for a dear friend
- all chipped in towards
- am sorry to hear that
- as soon as I saw it I thought
- comes with our best wishes for
- had mentioned how much you like
- hope it will brighten up your day
- hope you will gain some comfort from
- hope you will have a speedy recovery
- hope that this will help to pass the time
- know that you enjoy
- knowing your great love of
- please accept these
- please accept our sincerest sympathy
- thought you might like
- thought he might enjoy this
- to help alleviate the boredom
- was sorry to hear about
- were saddened to hear of
- were so sorry to learn of
- will be sorely missed
- wish you an uneventful recovery
- wondered if you might enjoy
2 Express your condolences or best wishes.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- I hope John's recovery will be rapid. I will be in touch.
- I hope it will make the time pass more quickly!
- Our thoughts and prayers are with you in your bereavement.
- I hope you will be back on your feet soon.
- The whole department misses you, Sue. We look forward to your being back with us very soon.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- an energetic person like you
- anything at all we can do to help
- are all missing you very much
- are only a phone call away
- be sure to follow the doctor's prescribed routine
- be up and around soon
- be careful not to overdo it
- best wishes for a speedy recovery
- best wishes during this difficult time
- here for anything you may need
- hope you'll bounce back fast
- hope his recovery will be rapid
- hope you will be feeling better soon
- just a small token of our esteem for
- know how hard it must be
- like to help if I can
- look forward to seeing you back at
- make the time pass more quickly
- miss having you around
- need to spend some time
- please let me know when we may visit
- thoughts and prayers are with you
- would like to visit as soon as