Example Letter #1
One of the topics we discussed in our last staff meeting was maximizing our time when deadlines are drawing near. Although we came up with several good solutions to the problem and had wonderful ideas about how to improve performance, we all voiced a concern that something was missing.
Enclosed is a copy of an article that I believe will help us with our problem. It deals specifically with strategies for working as a team to reach a deadline. The strategies seem flexible and adaptable to individual situations, which makes them ideal for our purposes.
If you would like an original copy, I will be happy to supply one.
Example Letter #2
I am enclosing an article that lists methods for hiring part-time or seasonal help. We covered some of the suggestions in our meeting last night, and I want to call your attention to items one and four.
I like the idea of rotating workers between departments during busy and slack times. Employees can learn new skills, have a change of scenery, and get a better overview of how the store functions. We have invited the writer of the article to address us at our luncheon meeting on Friday. I think you will enjoy meeting her. She is a good contact to have with the local press.
Example Letter #3
As you requested, I am enclosing a copy of my article on anxiety disorders that appeared recently. I am intrigued by the research you are doing with post-traumatic stress disorders. Perhaps we could get together over lunch to discuss your research. I look forward to receiving your comments and opinions on this paper.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Mention the speech or publication that is prompting you to write the letter.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- I thoroughly enjoyed the talk you gave to the Doe staff last week. In your comments you mentioned an article you wrote on the recent developments in speech recognition computers.
- The enclosed article discusses some ways other companies have dealt with the same problems we were wrestling with in our meeting yesterday. Have you seen it yet?
- Your recent editorial in the paper was impressive in its grasp of the problems with our current corporate tax laws.
- I wanted to let you know how much I appreciated your favorable mention of my magazine article in your "Business Line" column last week.
- Have you seen this article on white collar crime?
- Enclosed is a copy of the article you requested during our meeting in Springfield last week.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- do you have a copy of
- enclosed is a copy of
- enclosed article discusses
- enclosed article might interest you
- enjoyed the presentation you gave at
- enjoyed your speech at
- found this article on
- happy to share my article on
- have you seen this article on
- here is the article you requested
- how much I appreciated your
- mentioned an article you had read on
- mentioned an article you wrote on
- sending a reprint of
- thoroughly enjoyed your
- thought you might be interested in
- to share a copy of your
- want to let you know
- was a pleasure to meet you at
- was most impressed by your
- wondered if you had seen this
- would you be willing to
- your recent article in
2 Mention specifically the major points of interest in the article or speech. If you would like to meet with the reader or discuss the article or speech further, suggest it briefly.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- I am particularly interested in this subject because I want to keep myself informed about developments in computer technology. Would you be willing to send me a copy of the article? I would like to learn more about this fascinating new field.
- I would like your feedback on the possibility of using "worker teams" to evaluate co-workers' performance and make recommendations about raises. Perhaps you could summarize the article for us and give us your impressions when we meet in Springfield next week.
- I, along with members of our legal staff, would like to meet with you to consider possible solutions to the problems you noted in your editorial. I will be phoning you next week to discuss possible meeting times.
- Your common sense approach and your business sense make a recommendation from you especially valuable!
- The claim that the problem is widespread is troubling, so I have decided to pass the word along to other members of the business community.
- The main thrust of the article is that we have been remiss in our handling of minority claims.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- am particularly interested in
- am deeply concerned by the claim that
- could you perhaps recommend
- enjoyed your common sense approach
- find the subject fascinating
- seems to agree with your findings
- slightly different approach to
- stay on the cutting edge of
- the problems you mentioned
- will call you next
- willing to share your impressions
- wondered if you were conversant with
- wondered if you had considered
- would like to meet with you to
- would like some feedback on
- would like to hear your thoughts on
- would like to discuss this further
- would like to learn more
- your approach made a lot of sense
- your approach was very appealing
3 Close briefly on a positive note.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- Thanks again for a great speech!
- I appreciate your input in our staff meetings.
- I look forward to speaking with you.
- Your kind words are much appreciated!
- Perhaps if we are all better informed, we can take action to solve the problem within our community.
- I think the problem is overstated and that by paying more attention to the reporting phase, we will eliminate it.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- appreciate your insights
- eagerly anticipate
- entertaining presentation of
- found it most thought-provoking
- hearing from you
- increasing my understanding of
- look forward to
- meeting you again
- seeing you in the near future
- sounding a wake-up call
- speaking with you in person
- taking a closer look at
- taking action on some of your
- thank you for your trouble
- thanks once again for
- value your comments and feedback
- were much appreciated
- will call you next week to
- would like to send you our newsletter
- your valuable contribution to