Offer Voluntary Services • Example Letters, Guides and Samples
The tone of this letter should be gracious and unassuming. If your past experience qualifies you in some special way to provide the service, mention it without boasting. If you have no experience but have other personal or professional qualifications, give that information too.
How to write this goodwill letter:
- Tell the reader about your professional or personal qualifications to provide service or tell the reader why you have decided to offer your services.
- Offer your voluntary service.
- Ask for a reply or inform the reader that you will contact him or her in the future.
Example Letter #1
I have recently retired from the local transit authority after driving a city bus for twenty years. A friend informs me you need volunteer drivers to transport cancer patients to the hospital for treatment. Since I have a lot of free time and I know the city well, I would be happy to volunteer my services on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. If you feel you can use my help, please contact me at 555-5555.
Example Letter #2
I am an attorney by education, though I do not practice currently. I am very interested in environmental issues and would like to volunteer my legal expertise to the Springfield Wilderness Society. If you are interested in my services, please give me a call at 555-5555. If I haven't heard from you by the end of next week, I'll give you a call.
Example Letter #3
I heard from John that your last accountant quit last month, and that you have been unable to secure the services of another. For ten years I have been a CPA with Doe & Co. and would be happy to volunteer my services. I can work every Saturday morning from nine to one to bring the books up to date. After that I could come in one evening a week until you can find a permanent replacement. If you are interested, please call me at 555-5555, and I will be glad to discuss it with you further.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Tell the reader about your professional or personal qualifications to provide service or tell the reader why you have decided to offer your services.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- I have recently received my bachelor's degree in elementary education.
- I am a retired registered nurse who is searching for some meaningful service to give to the community.
- Although I am a civil engineer by profession, I have always had a deep interest in environmental science.
- I don't have any formal training to work with the young people in your program, but throughout my life I have enjoyed working with youth groups and I seem to get along well with them.
- My work is seasonal, so for the next three months I am at liberty to volunteer my services in any way that you may need them.
- I must admit that for years I was not very sympathetic to your cause, but some unusual events in my life have brought about a complete change of heart. I really want to be involved in helping those who can't help themselves.
- Our neighborhood has had three robberies in the last month, and we are prepared to do something about it.
- Each year our company offers charitable service to a nonprofit organization in our community.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- about the plight of
- am at liberty to
- am deeply concerned about
- am eager to
- give something back to
- have recently received
- have been richly blessed
- have the time and the enthusiasm to
- have had no formal training in
- have always enjoyed
- have a deep interest in
- now that I have retired
- offer charitable service to
- service to the community
- to be of service to
- to perform some meaningful service
- to give to the community
- to get involved in
- to be of assistance
- volunteer my services
- would like to
2 Offer your voluntary service.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- I have heard of your tutoring program and want to volunteer for a shift between six and eight o'clock in the evening on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
- Your program to clean up the community is wonderful. Please call me when you have your next project, and I will help in any way I can.
- As I mentioned during our telephone conversation, my professional skills are limited, but I am willing to help support your campaign. Please send me any assignment you think I am qualified for.
- My neighbors and I want to volunteer our services to assist the city police in a neighborhood watch program.
- Because of the rise in unemployment this year, our company has decided to offer its assistance to Springfield's homeless shelters. We hope you will accept the food, clothing, and other supplies we plan to donate. Also, many of our personnel have expressed an interest in volunteering their time, as well.
- I want to volunteer my service to your organization once a week. The best day for me is Friday.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- am available every
- am able to volunteer for
- am qualified to
- am in a position to
- anything I am qualified to do
- assist with this project
- can help evenings or weekends
- can perhaps assist with
- can donate five hours per week
- have had training and experience in
- hope you will accept
- on an occasional basis
- on a regular basis
- please call me when
- service to your organization
- skills are limited
- volunteer our services
- what can I do to support
- wherever we can be most useful
- will help in any way I can
- would be willing to
3 Ask for a reply or inform the reader that you will contact him or her in the future.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- Will you please give me a call at 555-5555 and tell me what I can to do help your cause.
- I hope you will respond soon, so I can plan my time accordingly.
- I am prepared to give a substantial amount of time to your organization. Please let me know when I can begin working.
- Please let me know what I can do. My phone number is 555-5555 and my address is below.
- I am anxious to serve, but I need to know where and when.
- I look forward to this new adventure and hope to hear from you soon.
- Will you please send me some information on your volunteer program? My address is below.
- I will call you in a few days to ask what I can do.
- I will call you by the end of next week to see how I might help.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- am looking forward to
- am eager to
- am anxious to get started
- by phone or e-mail
- can reach me any time at
- eager to get involved
- give me a call
- hope that you can use me
- hope to hear from you soon
- hope you will respond soon
- if you can use my services
- need to know fairly soon
- please let me know
- send me some information on
- so that I can adjust my schedule
- such a worthy cause
- what I can do to help
- when your next training session begins
- will drop by your offices next
- will call you in a few days
- will be happy to