Decline a Request For a Donation • Example Letters, Plus Guides and Samples
Write this brief, polite letter only when you have received a personal request. Your letter lets the reader know that you considered the request.
How to write this refusal letter:
- Thank the reader or compliment the organization or event for which your donation has been requested.
- Offer a brief explanation followed by your refusal. Your explanation may be as specific or as vague as you choose.
- Ask if there might be other ways that you can contribute to the fundraising event or cause, or offer goods or services you would be willing to donate to the fundraiser. You could also mention that you could pass the original fundraising letter on to others who might be willing/able to contribute.
- Express wishes for success.
Example Letter #1
Thank you for inviting us to sponsor the Springfield Gala. We agree that this is a very good cause, but unfortunately we will not be able to help this year.
With the downturn in the economy, our company, like so many others, has had to rationalize our corporate giving, and we have already reached our limits for this fiscal year.
If you will contact us before the end of February of next year, we will be in a better position to consider your application.
We wish you every success in this year's Springfield Gala.
Example Letter #2
We compliment your work to provide a summer camp for young cancer patients. This is indeed a worthy cause. Rather than donating to individual charities, however, our employees donate through payroll donations to the United Way. We suggest that you apply to that organization for additional funding.
Although we can't commit to monetary support at this time, when you are ready for volunteer labor, a number of Doe employees are willing to help. We wish you much success in this worthy cause.
Example Letter #3
We recently received your request for donations to local school libraries. We recognize the need for improvement in our children's schools and appreciate your initiative in gathering donations for new books. However, we must decline your request this year because all of our company's charitable resources went to aid victims of the recent flood. Please contact us again early next spring. In the meantime, please accept our sincerest wishes for success.
Example Letter #4
Thank you for thinking of Doe's Auto Repair as a company interested in the community. Unfortunately, we cannot contribute to the Springfield Cat Association this year, even though we know that you consistently help many needy animals in our city. Our company has already contributed to several charitable organizations this year and our funds are depleted.
Example Letter #5
Thank you for considering us in your fund raising drive. I have watched the City Cupboard program with great admiration for sometime now. Sadly, we are over-committed for charitable donations this year and will not be able to help you at this time. I passed your letter around the office and posted it in the lunch room. A number of employees have mentioned that they might donate.
I wish you every success in your drive. Please contact us around June next year, and we may be able to help you then.
Example Letter #6
Recently, I received your fundraising letter describing the financial support required to realize the upcoming programs and services of (Name of Organization). As you know, I admire and feel connected to the purpose and mission of your organization, and I am amazed by the effects of the services you provide. During past fundraising drives, I was able to express my admiration and support of your endeavors with a monetary donation. However, at this time, I regret to say that I am unable to contribute funds to your cause, but please do not view this inability as an expression of my wavering support. I continue to value highly the work that (Name of Organization) does, and I hope to be able to express my admiration and support of the organization again in the future.
Example Letter #7
I am so sorry that I will be unable to donate to this year's March Campaign. I strongly believe in the work you are doing and have given each year for many years, but my personal circumstances prevent me from helping you right now.
If matters improve, I will send a check later this year, but in any case, please don't remove me from your mailing list. I still want to help and will do my share as soon as I am able to.
Good luck with the March Campaign!
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Thank the reader or compliment the organization or event for which your donation has been requested.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Thank you for your recent letter requesting a donation to the Doe Girls' Club.
- I agree that the Doe Head-Start Program is a worthy cause.
- Your Doe Neighborhood Clean-up is a commendable project.
- Thank you for your request for donations to your Sub-for-Santa program.
- We appreciate your consideration of Doe's as a donor to the new Arts Center.
- Your plan to develop an after-school program is admirable.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- agree that your organization is accomplishing wonderful things
- agree that your program advances a worthy cause
- appreciate your contacting us regarding a donation for
- as you know, for many years we have
- appreciate your efforts and plan to contribute
- feel that your programs are valuable
- in the past, when you asked me to contribute to charitable causes
- is clearly a commendable project
- thank you for your request for donations
- thank you for your recent letter requesting a donation
- thank you for your letter describing the need for
- to provide service to all the members of this community
- to your yearly fund raising drive
- with admiration and respect, I read of your efforts to improve
- your letter certainly made the organization sound
- your request for our support for
2 Offer a brief explanation followed by your refusal. Your explanation may be as specific or as vague as you choose.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- Although your efforts are admirable, our Outreach Committee believes your work runs counter to the aims of our organization.
- As much as we would like to help, we simply do not have the financial resources available to do so at present.
- Because of rising overhead and other costs, we are simply not able at this time to allocate funding to any nonprofit or charitable organizations at this time.
- Because we are a small company, unfortunately we do not have the resources to provide you with the money you requested.
- Because we have already allocated our charitable funds for the year, we will not be able to sponsor your cross-country trek.
- I am truly sorry that I cannot make a donation to your organization.
- I wanted to write and let you know that we truly support the work you are doing.
- In order to contribute to any organization, we must get authorization from our corporate offices, and such authorization is not possible at this time.
- Our company is already involved in several service projects. For example, all our employees currently provide volunteer assistance at Lincoln School. We're sorry we have no more resources at this time.
- Regrettably, we will not be able to contribute because we have already chosen the nonprofits that we will be giving financial support to this year.
- Though our family would like to support the work you do, we are already contributing financially to several worthwhile causes.
- Though we would very much like to help you in your work, we are not in a position to do so at present.
- Unfortunately, we are not able to make a donation at this time.
- Unfortunately, we do not have adequate means to contribute to all the worthy causes that we support.
- We are involved in a number of projects that at present leave us overcommitted. We regret that we do not have the financial resources to contribute to your program.
- We do support the work you are doing, but your organization does not meet the criteria necessary for us to be able to contribute funding.
- We have long been advocates of your cause.
- We regret we cannot send a donation with this letter.
- We wish we could help you in your work, but we are simply not able to at this time.
- We would love to support the work you are doing, but we have already made a commitment to endorse a similar organization.
- We would truly like to be able to contribute to your cause.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- added budgetary strains have demanded cutbacks across the board
- all available funds for contributions
- already donating to several worthy causes
- already involved in several worthwhile
- although I admire the work
- although we would like to contribute
- am sorry I cannot contribute this year
- am sorry I cannot contribute to the fund this year
- am sorry that we will be unable to assist at this time
- appreciate the work that your organization
- are often asked for merchandise donations
- as much as we sympathize with the aims of your organization
- as much as we would like to be able to help
- as you know, these are tough times financially
- because of budget problems
- because of financial restraints
- because of our limited budget
- because of rising costs
- because we are a small company
- been earmarked, based on this year's donations
- budget does not include funds for the particular
- cannot at this time
- company policy dictates that we limit our contributions to
- company policy restricts us from
- currently there is a lack of funding
- difficult choice concerning the distribution of those funds
- do not have the financial resources
- do not have the resources to help more at this time
- due to financial constraints
- due to the high volume of requests
- due to the increasing volume of inquiries from
- have already allocated charitable funds for the year
- have already chosen the nonprofits that we will be supporting this year
- have already met our allotment
- have chosen to support another organization
- have had to develop a policy regarding contributions
- have overcommitted the funds allocated for such
- hope you understand that
- in the past, we would have been pleased to accommodate your
- in these economically troubled times
- involved in several service projects
- it is with deep regret
- know that the work you do
- many worthy organizations that request support
- must get authorization from
- must inform you that our firm will not participate in
- must inform you that we will not
- need to limit my donations to
- need to limit the number of donations
- number of projects have left us overcommitted
- on behalf of our organization
- on behalf of the committee
- organization does not fall within the parameters
- our company has chosen to donate to local
- our policy is to establish a list of charities we will support
- regret that our budget does not include funds for such a purpose
- regret that we are unable at this time to
- regret that we do not have the financial resources
- regret to inform you that we will be unable to contribute to
- so many worthy organizations that seek our help
- sorry that we cannot add to that list
- sorry that we cannot make a donation
- sorry that we will not be able to make our usual contribution
- though we support your cause
- though we would like to sponsor
- unable to support all of the worthy causes that
- unfortunately, we are unable
- will not be able to sponsor
- wish it were possible to provide
- wish we could help in the work
3 Ask if there might be other ways that you can contribute to the fundraising event or cause, or offer goods or services you would be willing to donate to the fundraiser. You could also mention that you could pass the original fundraising letter on to others who might be willing/able to contribute.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- Although we cannot offer you money, our employees have expressed interest in volunteering at your check-points along the route. Please contact me if you would like their assistance.
- But I will send your letter on to one of our sister organizations, and perhaps it can help you in your work.
- Could we instead help you by providing free advertising for your organization?
- Even though I cannot contribute to your work at this time, I have posted your letter in our break room, with the hope that some of my coworkers might be able to donate.
- However, I have posted your letter in our lunchroom and noted that any employees who are interested in making donations should contact you individually.
- However, if the situation changes and we can contribute to your organization in the future, I would be happy to contact you.
- I am sure you will be able to find other donors who share your concerns.
- I will keep your contact information in our file so that we can reach you in the future.
- If possible, please contact us later in the year to see if we have resources available at that time.
- If we could help your organization in some other way, such as providing managerial or clerical services, we would be happy to do so.
- If you hold another fundraiser next year, please feel free to contact us.
- If you need additional funding in the future, please feel free to contact us to see if we can be of assistance at that time.
- If you would be able to use stationery or other paper products, we would be happy to donate them. Note that we would imprint each sheet with the message, "Donated by Doe's Paper Products."
- If you would like to contact us at the beginning of next year, we could consider your request when we determine our allocation of funds.
- Instead of making a financial donation, could we perhaps petition and collect prizes for those who participate?
- Perhaps local churches would be willing to organize volunteers from their congregations to clean up four-block sections of the city.
- Though our corporation cannot contribute to your work, several of our employees have expressed interest in your organization, so I have given them your contact information.
- Though we do not have the financial means to contribute to your organization, we would still very much like to help in your work. Is there some other way we could be of assistance, such as helping to organize or run the fundraising event?
- We would be happy to provide refreshments for your fundraising event, if you would allow us to do so. If you could contact us early next year, we will see if we can contribute to your organization at that time.
- When we are in a better position to be able to contribute funding to charitable organizations, I'll contact you.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- although we can not make a monetary donation
- although we cannot give you financial support
- although we cannot offer you money
- am sure you will be able to find other donors who share your
- answer your request more positively next year
- cannot grant every charitable request
- consider your request when we determine our allocation of funds
- contact us early next year
- could we instead be of service by
- could we instead offer prizes for
- could we instead provide you with
- employees who are interested in making donations should contact
- glad to consider any future requests for worthwhile causes
- happy to assist in some other way
- have a number of items that we could donate for an auction
- have given your letter to my colleague
- have posted your letter in the break room
- have, however, posted your letter in our
- hope to have resources next year
- hope you understand our situation
- hope you will understand our position
- if appropriate, could we instead provide
- if I could instead organize volunteers or help by
- if possible, we would like to contribute
- if we may assist you further
- if you could use any of the products that we
- if you hold another fundraising event next year
- if you need assistance in the future
- if you plan to make this project an annual event
- if you would find them useful, we would like
- if you would like to contact us at the beginning of
- look forward to hearing from you in the future
- look forward to hearing from you regarding
- our employees have expressed interest in assisting
- our employees have expressed interest in volunteering at
- perhaps toward the end of the year
- perhaps we can help in another way
- please contact me if you are interested in their assistance
- please contact me if you might be interested, instead, in
- please contact us early next year
- submit the name of your organization for future consideration
- submit the name of your organization to
- support your goals and stated purpose
- wait to hear from you regarding
- we would be happy to donate refreshments for
- when our financial circumstances change
- when we are in a better position to
- will be in touch if we can
- will contact you in the future if
- will keep your letter, and perhaps in the future
- will plan to include your organization in next year's budget
- will talk to the other people involved
- will try to consider you in next year's budget
- would be happy to donate
- would be happy to donate our products
- would be happy to help in some other way
- would be happy to pass your letter on
- would be willing to organize volunteers
- would be willing to remove the restrictions accompanying your
- would like to donate our services
- would like to gather items to donate to the family
4 Express wishes for success.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- Best wishes as you continue in your work.
- Best wishes to you in your work.
- Good luck in all you do!
- I look forward to taking part in your future efforts.
- I'm sure that the work you do will be a great blessing to the families who will benefit from it.
- Keep up the good work!
- We appreciate your efforts to aid those in our community who go without at this time of the year.
- We believe that you have much to offer our community, and wish you much success in achieving your goals.
- We commend you for your efforts and wish you a successful fund drive.
- We hope you will be able to meet all of your very worthwhile goals.
- We really do wish you all the best.
- We support the work you are doing, and wish you every success.
- We wish you every success in your endeavor. We are sure it will be a memorable experience for all involved.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- accept our best wishes for a successful drive
- appreciate your efforts to aid those in our community who
- believe you have much to offer the public
- best wishes in your future pursuits
- best wishes in your work
- best wishes to you in your work
- best wishes to your organization for a successful benefit
- commend you for the work you have already accomplished
- commend you for your efforts
- good luck in your very worthy
- good luck with your fund-raising efforts
- hope that all goes well with your latest projects
- hope that you will be able to
- hope your organization will meet all its goals
- keep up the good work
- know that the work you do is important
- look forward to hearing about your future endeavors
- may you be blessed in your continued efforts
- really do wish you the best
- support the work you are doing
- support your goals and stated purpose
- sure it will be a memorable experience for all involved
- sure that the work you do will be a great benefit to
- wish we could accept every request we receive for donation
- wish we could be of service
- wish we could respond positively to every charitable request
- wish you a successful fund drive
- wish you every success
- wish you every success in your campaign
- wish you much success in achieving your goals
- wish you success in
- wish you success with your project
- wish you the best
- wish you the best in achieving your goals