Example Letter #1
Because you do so much so well, I regret having to report that management has denied my request to raise your position from a Level 8 to a Level 10. They explained that company policy does not permit an employee to advance two levels at the same time. They agreed to consider advancing you to a Level 9 after the first of the year if the department maintains its present level of production. Rest assured I will do everything I can to get this promotion for you.
Example Letter #2
Thank you for your patience while the tenure committee considered your possible promotion to associate professor. We all agree that you have made significant contributions to the Biology Department in your teaching, and we congratulate you on being voted "Teacher of the Year." After reviewing your curriculum vitae, however, we have decided to withhold the promotion to Associate Professor until a later date.
While you have several promising research projects in progress, the committee would like to see more refereed publications before granting Associate Professor status. We will be happy to reconsider your request for advancement next year, if the number and quality of your publications increase. Again, we salute your contributions to our department and wish you continued success in your professional endeavors.
Example Letter #3
I am very pleased that you joined our staff last year. Your work has been first rate, and you are a pleasure to work with. Because of that, it is all the more difficult to deny your promotion. We hired another qualified individual to fill the position you wanted. I am sorry. Rest assured, though, that your efforts are not going unnoticed. Continue working as hard and as efficiently as you have and you will achieve your career goals. I do appreciate your efforts.
Example Letter #4
You have been with the company longer than any other staff member, and all of us genuinely appreciate your exemplary work in the front office. However, you have reached the highest salary level allowable for secretarial staff.
Ms. Doe has suggested that I discuss with you the possibility of training you for an administrative position. I know in the past you have chosen to remain in your present job, but I am confident that you would also enjoy the challenge of a new position. Whatever you decide, I look forward to our continued association.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Express appreciation for the employee's strengths.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- I appreciate your work on the development team. You have helped us stay focused on final products.
- Your effectiveness as the network troubleshooter is valued by every data entry person on the network.
- Jane, thank you for meeting with me to discuss the possibility of promoting you to a management position. Your dependability in the front office is greatly appreciated.
- Your work this past year to bring the entire office "on-line" has helped improve efficiency and cut down on paperwork. I have greatly appreciated the extra hours you have put in to get the job done.
- You are my most productive worker in our Quality Assurance Division. Your knowledge of each instrument and every procedure is an exceptional asset to the division.
- Your attendance record is the best in the entire division. I appreciate your faithfulness and commitment to Doe's.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- appreciate your desire to move up in the agency
- appreciate your interest in understanding how you fit into
- appreciate your work on the development team
- appreciate your interest in the growth of the company
- appreciate the extra hours you have put in to get the job done
- appreciate your faithfulness and commitment to Doe's
- appreciate your dependability
- attendance record is exemplary
- effectiveness as the network troubleshooter is valued by
- genuinely appreciate your contributions
- have made a definite impact on
- helped improve efficiency and decrease paperwork
- helped keep us focused on final products
- in your own managerial skills and development
- knowledge of every procedure is an exceptional asset to
- noticed and appreciated your contributions in your present
- one of our most appreciated
- review your request for promotion to
- thank you for meeting with me to discuss the possibility of
- thank you for being patient while
- thank you for serving the organization so well in your current
- value your work and want to encourage your career advancement
- your work this past year to bring the entire office
2 Explain why the promotion or raise is being denied.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- However, because of your continued inability to complete assignments on time, the board has chosen to delay your promotion for six months.
- Although you deserve a raise, budget shortfalls have required us to freeze the salaries of everyone in the company.
- Since our management training group is currently overfilled, I do not anticipate that we will begin a new training group until sometime next year.
- We would like to reward such efforts with a promotion. However, during the past two years Doe's has endeavored to decrease the number of middle management positions. In checking with Mr. Doe, I learned that because of this policy, no vacancies currently exist and no new positions will be created.
- However, your performance evaluations also document your continued difficulties in getting along with your co-workers. Until you can resolve these problems, a promotion to supervisor of Quality Control will not be considered.
- After discussing your request for a bonus with management, we decided that your "sick days rebate," which you receive every year, already compensates you for your perfect attendance record.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- after lengthy discussion with your supervisor
- after discussing your request for a raise with
- after carefully weighing both the advantages and disadvantages
- all promotions have been put on hold for the next six months
- all promotions have been put on hold for the next
- already compensates you for your
- although you deserve a raise, budget shortfalls limit
- are able to make service calls unaccompanied
- because of your continued problem with
- board has chosen to delay your promotion
- central reason for our decision was that
- company policy has been to reduce all middle management positions
- current funding levels have necessitated a freeze on promotion
- decided that a promotion would not be in the best interests of
- feel strongly that whoever assumes the position of
- feel that a promotion at this time would be premature
- for the rest of this fiscal year
- if you plan to devote your best efforts to
- importance of your position to the company will be measured by
- in hopes of treating everyone fairly
- no vacancies exist and no new positions will be created
- performance evaluations also document your continued difficulties
- request for position audit cannot be approved
- set caps on all salary increases
- should have a CPS certification
- simply have no more budget to work with this year
- to know whether you can function effectively on the basis
- until you have gained more experience with the system
- until you can resolve these problems
- would like to reward such efforts with a promotion
- your effectiveness in meeting the above criteria
3 Suggest what the reader can do to receive the raise or promotion, or explain what other problems in the company (such as budget problems) must be overcome before the raise or promotion can be granted.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- If, during the next six months, you can complete each project within the deadline, the board will reconsider your application.
- When our new software begins selling and our revenues increase, we will be able to demonstrate our appreciation of your efforts by offering you a merit increase.
- I will put your name in my file as a possible candidate for next year's group. However, as I mentioned in our meeting, most employees are chosen for the management training course only after they have worked for us ten years or more. In the meantime, you may want to consider enrolling in our computer specialist course.
- As an alternative, she suggests that I submit your file to the annual "Best Employee" contest, requesting that you receive a bonus for your excellent work. Could you meet with me next Tuesday at 10:00 a.m. to go over your file?
- If you can resolve these problems, I would be happy to reevaluate your request at your next review. Have you considered discussing this issue with Dr. Winthrop in Personnel?
- Of course, the management will review all raise requests in another six months. If they reach a different decision then, I will certainly let you know.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- happy to reevaluate your request at your next review
- have a vacancy that calls for the skills that you can bring to
- hope to expand and diversify
- if the new product gets the go-ahead
- if they reach a different decision
- if you can complete each project within the deadline
- if you would like to discuss our decision further
- may want to consider enrolling in our computer specialist course
- next month we should be back on schedule
- offering you a merit increase
- please bring any new developments to our attention
- request can be reconsidered when Mr. Doe returns from
- requesting that you receive a bonus for your excellent work
- should you receive this additional training
- skill and knowledge is vital to our functions here
- sometime in the future our emphasis may change
- submit another request in
- think we have overlooked some other valuable contributions on
- want to ensure that employees follow our guidelines
- when our new product begins selling and our revenues increase
- will be able to demonstrate our appreciation of your efforts
- will be happy to discuss this kind of promotion then
- will be in touch again and resume these discussions
- would like to pursue this further at the end of the year
4 End on a positive note.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- John, you are a valuable employee, and I appreciate the fine work you do in my department.
- I am confident that you will demonstrate your ability to perform your work on schedule.
- Thank you again for your good work. I commend you for your desire to advance in the company.
- I look forward to working with you on your file so that you can be recognized for your excellent contributions to the company.
- In the meantime, please be assured of my continued appreciation for your work.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- an important position in our estimation
- applaud you for having done a fine job for
- appreciate the commendable work you do in
- appreciate your past efforts
- appreciated your contributions in your present assignment
- are a valuable employee
- commend you for your desire to advance in the company
- confident that you will be able to demonstrate to the board your
- nothing but glowing commendations from your present supervisor
- please be assured of my continued appreciation
- recognized for your excellent contributions to the company
- seen your management skills grow
- skills have been just what we have needed in your present
- thank you for serving the organization so well
- thank you for your energy and enthusiasm for the tasks
- thank you, again, for your good work
- thank you for your past contributions to our efforts here at
- very pleased with the fine work you are doing in your current
- when funds permit, we will reevaluate your request for a raise
- willingness to persevere in a difficult situation
- would like to ask you to consider transferring to