Example Letter #1
I understand that the Springfield Family History and Genealogical Society Archives have maintained a complete file of immigration statistics from 1880 to 1940. Would you be kind enough to furnish me with the names of immigrants from Ireland to the Springfield area between the years 1936-1939?
This information will help me prepare a family history to be presented to the recipient of the "Inspirational Citizen Award" at our centennial celebration. Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Example Letter #2
Thank you for submitting your resume in response to the nanny position we advertised. In addition to your resume, we also need three references and a list of past employers for the past five years, along with their phone numbers. Our policy is to thoroughly review the background of each candidate in order to select the most suitable nanny for our children. Thank you for your assistance.
Example Letter #3
Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding your Doe Card account. To enable us to complete this matter to your satisfaction, we need your assistance in supplying a few more details concerning your financial history.
Please call 555-5555 at your earliest convenience so that we may discuss the details. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you and thank you for your cooperation.
Example Letter #4
As we welcome the New Year, we also look back on 2018 and begin preparations for filing income tax returns. To assist you, we have prepared a personalized Client Tax Organizer. By completing this organizer you will help us prepare your return more accurately and minimize your tax liability. Please attach all the applicable tax documents listed on the cover sheet and return the completed organizer at least one week before your appointment. We will then be able to have a more successful meeting with you.
Thank you for taking the time to send us this important information.
You are more likely to get the information you need if you make your request very specific. Although it is not necessary to explain your reason for requesting information, you may get a more helpful response if you do.
1 Tell the reader exactly what information you need and ask him or her to send it.
- I intend to spend most of my time in Springfield researching material for my article and hope that you can send me a map of the city.
- Please send all the tourist information you have regarding historical sites within fifty miles of your resort.
- Could you please send me information about public facilities such as recreation centers and museums in your immediate area?
- Will you please send me any helpful information that your research has uncovered concerning this disease?
- I am extremely interested in your association. Will you send me current literature on your organization's purpose and on its charitable service?
- Does my renter's insurance policy cover hazards that are found to be my fault? For example, if I were to leave my iron plugged in after leaving for work, and the house were to catch fire, would my policy cover the damages?
- I need more specific information regarding your situation before I can answer your question, and I have not found the letter you referred to in your query. Perhaps you can send me a copy.
- I would like to have more information about your organization's policies regarding bilingual education before I make a decision. Will you send me any literature you may have on the subject?
- a list of
- a copy of
- a suggested reading list
- a description of
- additional information about
- any literature you may have
- any helpful information
- any information you can provide
- any information you have available
- any information you have concerning
- current literature on
- general information about
- hope that you can send me
- hope you can help me
- information regarding
- more information about
- need more specific information on
- please furnish me with
- please send me
- some references on
- would like to have
- would appreciate
2 Explain why you need information.
- I have just received a job in Springfield, so my family and I are searching for a home in that area.
- I have just retired and am planning to take a trip sometime this summer. The problem is that I haven't decided where I want to go.
- I recently found out that I have an unusually high cholesterol level. When I asked my doctor for some informative literature about my problem, he gave me your organization's name and address. I hope you can help me.
- Thank you for taking the time last Saturday to discuss my finances with me. After looking at the forms you gave me, I have come up with a few more questions that I hope you won't mind answering.
- The sooner you supply us this information, the sooner we can send you our approval.
- I will let you know what my decision is as soon as you send this information.
- John Doe will be the Master of Ceremonies for next Thursday's annual awards night and he has requested a few more details about your professional life.
- I know I have written you on three other occasions to ask different questions, but I need to understand exactly what my insurance policy covers.
- I need this information in order to make an appropriate decision.
- I can't offer you further assistance without this vital information.
- We will gladly continue serving your needs as soon as we have this information.
- Your immediate cooperation will assist me tremendously in deciding the next step to take.
- a lifelong interest in
- after doing some research
- am doing research on
- am not quite clear about
- am writing an article on
- am particularly interested in
- am processing your paperwork
- am undecided about
- am very interested in
- am planning to
- are investigating the possibilities
- are searching for
- don't quite understand the
- fill in some background on
- have just received
- have some questions about
- hope you can assist me
- need some information about
- received your application for
- recently discovered that
- was given your
- will be giving a presentation on
- as soon as we receive
- matter is rather urgent, as
- need this information in order to
- this information is vital to
- will assist me greatly
- in order to process your
- as soon as possible
3 Thank the reader.
- Thank you for your help.
- Thank you very much.
- I will appreciate your cooperation.
- Thank you in advance for your prompt reply.
- Thank you for supplying us with this information.
- I am grateful for your kindness.
- Thank you for your time.
- Thank you for responding.
- We appreciate your help.
- We will appreciate your prompt attention.
- am grateful for
- for your assistance
- for your help
- for your time
- hearing from you
- in the near future
- look forward to
- receiving the information
- supplying us with this information
- thank you for
- thank you very much
- very much appreciate
- will be greatly appreciated
- would appreciate your
- your patience and cooperation
- your kind cooperation
- your prompt reply
- your attention to this matter
- your prompt attention to
- your timely response
- your prompt response to