Request a Change In a Contract or Agreement • Example Letters, Guides and Samples
Be specific about the changes you want to make in the contract so there will be no misunderstandings. The tone of this letter should be confident and persuasive, yet courteous.
How to write this request letter:
- If applicable, remind the reader that you have carefully adhered to the current contract or agreement up to this point.
- Explain the problem that prompts you to request a change in the contract or agreement.
- Review what the current contract or agreement says in relation to your problem, and then request a change in the contract.
- Express your desire for a mutually beneficial arrangement and thank him or her for considering your request.
Example Letter #1
As you know, I have faithfully paid my rent on the tenth of the month for the past three years. However, my grandmother has taken ill, and I must pay her medical bills on the first of the month. I will need more than ten days to recover financially to pay rent, so I am requesting that my rent due date be changed to the fifteenth of the month. You have been a most reasonable landlord. I appreciate your taking the time to consider this small amendment to our rental agreement.
Example Letter #2
I hope you agree that I have upheld my end of my lease with you since we moved in over a year ago. However, something has developed that the lease does not cover; consequently, I want to modify the lease to address that need so that there are no misunderstandings.
My niece will be moving in with us on May 5. Since she is family, I trust you will allow her to stay with us without an increase in the rent. The current lease seems to require a rent increase for non-family members. I want to clarify that provision in writing so there will be no question about her living with us. Would you please write me to confirm my understanding of that provision?
Example Letter #3
You will recall that I have a spotless record of adherence to club policies per our contract. However, I would like to request that our contract be amended to allow nonmembers to sail club yachts in the presence of certified Yacht Club members. I often entertain out-of-town guests for whom it would be impractical to obtain club membership. It would be my privilege (and my responsibility) if I were permitted to allow my guests occasionally to take the helm when aboard a club vessel. Please advise me as to your thoughts on this matter. I would be delighted to sign off, at your convenience, on any amendment we make to this effect.
Example Letter #4
We thank you for agreeing to provide the music for my daughter's wedding on June 17. Unfortunately her fiancee, who is in the military, has received orders which make this date impossible, so we are moving the wedding date forward two weeks to June 3. Would it be possible for you to accommodate us on this date instead? All the other aspects of our agreement will remain the same.
We would be most grateful if you could make this change. If you are unable to, please let us know as soon as possible so that we can make other arrangements.
Example Letter #5
We agreed that I should come to your home to replace your furnace on October 4. However, the specific furnace mentioned in our contract, the Doe Standard, is not available. The next shipment is expected the second week of October. We could delay the installation or, if you prefer, use an XYZ furnace, which is also an excellent brand and very similar to the Doe. The cost would be the same.
I recommend that we go ahead with the XYZ, but will wait for your instructions. Please call me at 555-5555 to let me know what you would like me to do.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 If applicable, remind the reader that you have carefully adhered to the current contract or agreement up to this point.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- I believe you will agree that until the present time I have flawlessly adhered to the terms of our contract.
- As you know, I have never before asked for an exception to our agreed-upon terms.
- Until this week, our contract has benefited us both tremendously, and each of us has kept our end of the agreement.
- I have enjoyed our business relationship very much and have felt comfortable with our contract.
- For the most part our contract has been satisfying and rewarding.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- am sure you will agree that
- as you know
- each of us has
- enjoy our business relationship
- for the most part
- has been a pleasure to
- has been mutually beneficial
- have both adhered to
- have not encountered any problems with
- have not requested any exceptions
- have both profited from
- have appreciated our
- have both benefited from
- have both been scrupulous about
- hope to continue to
- intention has been to
- kept our end of the agreement
- our agreed-upon terms
- satisfying and rewarding
- up until the present time
2 Explain the problem that prompts you to request a change in the contract or agreement.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- Over the last year my wife and I have been struggling financially, and therefore, I have accepted a higher paying job in Springfield, Kansas.
- It has come to my attention that you have no financial responsibility if it takes your crew longer to complete the building than the prescribed 300 days.
- My sister is going abroad for three months and she needs to find a temporary, trustworthy home for her dog.
- The car that we leased from you three months ago is not large enough to accommodate our growing family.
- Because of the unusually heavy rain storms this season, we have been unable to complete as much of the fireplace as we had planned.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- an unusual situation
- change in our circumstances
- did not anticipate this
- does not cover the
- has severe financial consequences
- has necessitated a
- have been unable to
- have recently learned that
- have been struggling financially
- in the expectation of
- is prejudicial to
- make a temporary change in
- need to extend our
- need to take advantage of
- no longer suits our needs
- the following circumstances
- this unexpected opportunity
- thought we would be able to
- was totally unexpected
- will be unable to
3 Review what the current contract or agreement says in relation to your problem, and then request a change in the contract.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- In other words, if you do not meet the deadline, I have to pay the large extension fees. As you can understand, I am not comfortable with that arrangement so I would like to change our contract to remove my liability. Otherwise, I will have to cancel the contract.
- I am aware that our current contract does not expire until December 10, but we must move to Springfield before that time. In view of our long-standing good record as tenants, I hope you will consider allowing us to end the contract on October 10.
- I know our contract specifically states "no pets," but this dog is like one of my sister's children. Perhaps you can make this one exception under the following terms:
- We hope you will consider our request for an extended deadline.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- am not comfortable with
- am sure you understand that
- am aware that
- contract will expire on
- could stipulate that
- give due consideration to
- hope you will give the matter your attention
- hope you will consider
- make an exception in this case
- make a more equitable arrangement
- rectify the situation
- request that we renegotiate
- seems to be no alternative
- this leaves me liable for
- this seems unfair
- under the following terms
- will you accommodate us by
- will agree that this is prejudicial to
- with the following conditions
- would like to revise the contract
4 Express your desire for a mutually beneficial arrangement and thank him or her for considering your request.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- I am willing to provide a signed statement to the effect that I will pay for any damages which may result from the animal's presence in my apartment.
- We don't want to put the burden of finding another suitable tenant solely on you, and will of course pay advertising costs. Please tell us how we can help.
- Would it be possible to meet this Wednesday to draw up an addendum to our agreement that will satisfy us both?
- I will be happy to meet with you to make arrangements either to discontinue our services or to extend our deadline.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- am willing to
- delete the relevant clause from
- discuss this further
- draw up an addendum
- mutually beneficial
- please let us know
- regret the necessity of
- satisfactory to both of us
- thank you for
- which may result from
- will call you on
- will pay for any
- will be happy to
- work out a new agreement
- would it be possible to
- would like to meet with you
- would very much appreciate
- your kind cooperation
- your consideration
- your assistance in this