Example Letter #1
At the end of my enlistment in the U.S. Air Force, I would like to enroll in Doe College for the fall semester of 2019 to pursue a bachelor's degree in computer science. Would you please send me the appropriate application forms and a copy of the general catalog? I would also like to receive any information the veterans' benefits office may have to help me plan ahead.
Example Letter #2
My high school counselor told me that the community college in Springfield would be the best place for me to continue my education. I want to study environmental science with an emphasis on toxic waste disposal. He explained that your combined AA curriculum in natural science and public affairs would give me a good foundation for future studies. Please send me the necessary application forms, including scholarship and housing information.
Example Letter #3
I am currently employed as a receptionist at a local law firm and would like to expand my career horizons. I understand Doe Community College has an excellent paralegal program in which I would like to enroll. Please send me an admissions application, any available literature on the program, and information on financial assistance.
Example Letter #4
I will finish high school in December, and am interesting in continuing my studies in the United States. I would like to go into the general field of communications or advertising, but have not yet decided on a major.
Please send me the appropriate application materials, along with information for International Students and any information you can give me on housing and employment opportunities. My address is:
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Briefly explain your interest in the school, indicating any special area of study you would like to pursue and any special circumstances that may affect your enrollment.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- I would like to enter Doe State University next fall semester to pursue a BA degree in comparative literature.
- I am currently completing an Associate's Degree at the local community college, and would like to transfer to Doe State University beginning winter semester to study computer science.
- I have been teaching English abroad for three years, and would like to enter your graduate program in teaching English as a second language.
- I am very interested in pursuing an MBA degree at Doe State University beginning in September.
- I would like to enter Doe State University next fall to pursue a degree in nursing.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- am very interested in
- am currently completing
- apply for admission to
- beginning winter semester
- graduate studies in
- have an Associate Degree in
- in the field of
- interested in pursuing
- next fall semester
- recently completed
- still undecided about
- to pursue a degree in
- to obtain a degree in
- with the intention of majoring in
- would like to apply
- would like to study
- would like to enter
- would like to transfer to
- your graduate program in
2 Request the application materials, including any special forms you might need.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- Would you please send me the necessary application materials, including information on financial assistance? My home address is:
Ms. Jane Doe
1600 Main Street
Springfield, Kansas 12345
- I would appreciate receiving application materials and a schedule of classes for winter semester. I would also like to know what courses, if any, are offered through evening school classes.
- Please send me the appropriate application materials and information on possible scholarships, assistantships, and other forms of financial assistance. If not noted on the application materials, please indicate the deadline for applications for fall semester.
- Please send me the information I will need to apply for admission. I will be prompt in paying any costs incurred.
- Could you please send the materials I will need to apply for the nursing program? It would be helpful to know the projected future of nursing at Doe University, considering the recent financial cutbacks.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- application deadline for
- application for on-campus housing
- appropriate application materials
- assistantships and other
- availability of student housing
- cost of living estimate
- graduate research opportunities
- indicate the deadline for application
- information I will need to apply
- information on scholarships
- information on financial assistance
- information about evening classes
- international student application
- necessary application materials
- parking availability on campus
- please send me
- schedule of classes
- would like information about
- would like to know
- would appreciate receiving