Resign from a Job In Which You Do Not Feel Valued or Appreciated • Example Letters, Plus Guides and Samples
Presumably, you have already discussed these matters with the person who will receive this letter, so the letter is a final documentation and statement of action, identifying specific cases. Consequently, you will have to decide how much you want to highlight in your letter.
How to write this resignation letter:
- Start with a direct statement of the fact that you are resigning. Include an effective date.
- Explain the reasons for your dissatisfaction in as much detail as you care to offer.
- Express gratitude.
- Discus the time for an orderly transition and transferal of your responsibilities
Example Letter #1
I am sorry to inform you that I have decided to resign from my position as a computer programmer in order to seek a more rewarding position elsewhere. This resignation must become effective no later than two weeks from today's date.
I have concluded that my contributions here are unrewarded and my ideas ignored. I have much to offer and feel frustrated that I am consistently passed over for special projects. It is important to me to work for a company that encourages creativity rather than restricts it. Although your compensation has been fair, you have been unable to provide other types of incentives that I need.
Nevertheless, my time here has not been wasted. I have gained experience and have honed my skills. I have worked with a dedicated group who has earned my respect and admiration. I sincerely wish co-workers well in their future endeavors.
Because you have indicated that my work is excellent, I would appreciate a positive recommendation from you should any prospective employers inquire about my qualifications. If you feel you are unable to satisfy this request, I would sincerely value an opportunity to discuss with you any reservations you may have.
Example Letter #2
This letter is to inform you of my decision to resign from my position as a technical writer, effective in two weeks.
Again, I have been passed over for promotion. Despite sterling evaluations from my superiors, the challenges and rewards I seek from my employment do not appear to be forthcoming. It is, therefore, unconscionable for me to remain with a company that neither rewards my accomplishments nor recognizes my potential.
My frustration, however, does not diminish the fact that my friendships here have been a source of pleasure and satisfaction. I wish everyone the very best.
Because all my projects are complete and my assignments are up to date, my replacement should have little difficulty taking over my responsibilities. However, if any problems should arise, you may contact me at 555-5555, and I will be happy to respond to any questions you or my replacement may have.
Example Letter #3
This letter is to notify you of my intent to resign from my position as Assistant Personnel Supervisor. Please make my resignation effective as soon as a replacement is hired, but no later than the end of next month.
Although I enjoy my job tremendously, I am terribly disappointed that I received only a 2 percent salary increase this year. My evaluations have been consistently outstanding, but my salary does not appropriately reflect this fact. I live from paycheck to paycheck, so I require a moderate increase in order to meet escalating living expenses.
Despite my frustration, I will always be thankful for the opportunity I have had to improve my skills and gain additional experience. Undoubtedly, my responsibilities here have helped furnish me with the expertise required for the position I recently accepted with another company at a much higher salary.
Because several of my co-workers share the same responsibilities that I do, the transition should not be difficult. If there is anything I can do before I leave, please let me know.
Example Letter #4
I am resigning as apartment manager--effective in two weeks. We have talked many times about apartment repairs, city code compliance and parking shortages. You continue to make promises, I continue to stave off angry tenants and the problems remain. I enjoy interacting with the tenants, but not on these terms. I also have apartment problems of my own and so I sympathize with their complaints. Please accept my resignation along with my notice to vacate the apartment, effective at the end of this month.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Start with a direct statement of the fact that you are resigning. Include an effective date.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- I am submitting my resignation, effective immediately.
- This letter is to notify you that I am resigning my position as division manager in order to seek a more rewarding position elsewhere.
- I wish to resign from my position as supervisor, effective at your convenience, no later than May 15th.
- Please accept this letter as my required two-week notice of intention to resign. I will be quitting my position as an electrical engineer on May 23rd.
- This letter is to give notice that I will be quitting my position as Assistant Sales Manager and leaving the company by the end of this month.
- I appreciate the time you gave me this morning to discuss my work. This letter will make official my intention to resign from my position as credit manager.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- after considerable thought and soul searching
- after considerable thought, I have decided to
- after much inner debate
- although I enjoy my job here
- although I have enjoyed my work as
- am offering my resignation as
- am afraid that I must withdraw
- an earlier departure would be more convenient
- as soon as you find a replacement
- as early as possible
- as of this date, I am formally resigning as
- circumstances require that I resign my position as
- decided to resign my position as
- effective at your convenience, but no later than
- effective two weeks from today
- effective on the last day of this month
- feel that the change will be beneficial to all parties
- feel that it is the right decision for me
- final date of employment will be
- have no choice but to resign
- hereby submit my resignation as
- hereby resign from my position as
- leave the company by the end of this month
- made this decision after months of deliberation
- must leave no later than
- must tender my resignation
- my required two-week notice
- offer my resignation as
- please consider this my resignation
- please accept this letter as official notification of my intent to resign
- please accept my regrets
- please accept my resignation as
- recent events require me to
- sorry to inform you
- sorry to inform you that I must resign my position as
- sorry that I must leave
- suggest an effective date of
- to inform you that I plan to
- to inform you that
- to notify you that
- until a replacement is appointed
- when a replacement is found
- will be leaving my position as
- will leave the company
- wish this resignation to take effect
- wish to resign my position
- with great regret I submit my resignation from
- with a great deal of sadness that I submit
- with great regret I submit my resignation
- would like to leave as soon as possible
2 Explain the reasons for your dissatisfaction in as much detail as you care to offer.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- I recently decided that I need to reevaluate the direction of my career, and have come to the conclusion that Doe Corporation is not offering me the kind of upward mobility that I need.
- I have no desire to work in a company where my contributions are not adequately recognized or appreciated.
- I have been passed over for promotion twice now, despite the fact that I have a superior sales record. Therefore, two weeks ago, when I received an offer from a company that is genuinely interested in my expertise and in me as an individual, I accepted the offer.
- I feel it is time to move on and try something different.
- I am now to the point that I think I know and understand this business better than most people, and am prepared to test my theories by starting my own company.
- I know you are paying me all you can, and I appreciate that, but with a growing family and increasing financial responsibilities, I have to bring home a larger paycheck. Another company is offering me exactly the kind of opportunities I have been seeking.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- appreciate an opportunity to speak with you
- cannot accept your reasoning
- contributions are not adequately recognized or appreciated
- desire opportunities for upward mobility
- discuss my role in the company
- does not appeal to me
- employee evaluations have always been very high
- feel strongly about
- first priority at this time is
- future potential of the position
- had limited opportunities to make contributions
- has reached a point that
- have met with you several times
- have made a substantial contribution to the company
- have not been willing to provide this opportunity
- have come to the realization that
- have met with a great deal of frustration
- if the circumstances were encouraging
- if the circumstances were right
- is not intended to reflect adversely upon
- limited opportunities for advancement
- makes it impossible to continue
- need to reevaluate the direction of my career
- need to make some tough decisions about the direction of my career
- not offering me the kinds of challenges and rewards that
- possibilities for future advancement
- prepared to test my theories
- seek a more rewarding position elsewhere
- starting my own company
- understand this business better than most people
- want you to know exactly how I feel
- was deeply disappointed that
- was under the impression that I would be promoted within
- with mixed emotions
- would like to clear the air
- would be an understatement to say
3 Express gratitude.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- I want to thank you for all the help you have given me during the past few years. I felt very unsure of myself when I started here five years ago, but under your guidance and supervision I have developed skill and confidence.
- I appreciate the time you spent training me so that I could perform my job properly, and also your patience with my mistakes. You even supported me when the home office wanted to let me go.
- Among the many enjoyable aspects of my job are the friendly relationships I have developed here. ? I count you and the other people in the office among my closest friends.
- The knowledge and experience I have gained in the last few years are invaluable.
- You have helped make my years here successful and productive.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- accept my thanks for the opportunity you gave me to
- always remember your consideration
- am grateful for the opportunity to work with
- best wishes to you always
- best wishes for the future success of
- best wishes to all of you for
- experience working with you has been invaluable
- experience gained during my association with
- express my sincere appreciation to
- had the opportunity to work with such a dedicated group of people
- the guidance you gave me
- the opportunity to earn my degree at night school through
- will always remember the personal attention
- will always be grateful for your efforts on my behalf
4 Discus the time for an orderly transition and transferal of your responsibilities
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- I will be glad to help acclimate and train my replacement, but my secretary, Carol, could certainly help in that area.
- I will be happy to stay for a reasonable amount of time to train my replacement and make sure that the transition goes smoothly, but I would like to leave as soon as possible.
- My books and records are in order, and I have prepared progress reports detailing the status of my projects. I will be happy to respond to any questions you or my replacement may have about my work.
- I don't want to leave my projects in a state of disarray. Therefore, if you'd like, I will either finish the projects before my end-of-the-month departure or prepare status reports with sufficient detail for my successor to take over with a minimum of lost time and confusion.
- I will be happy to assist you in finding a suitable replacement.
- My staff is quite capable of carrying on until a replacement is appointed. I would even suggest promoting my assistant, Jane Doe, to be the new department head.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- be happy to assist with training my replacement in
- before taking my leave
- finish the projects before my departure
- glad to help train my replacement
- happy to assist you in finding a suitable replacement
- happy to respond to any questions
- make sure that the transition goes smoothly
- books and records are in proper order
- orient the new person
- prepare status reports with sufficient detail for my successor
- willing to stay for a reasonable amount of time to train my replacement
- would suggest promoting my assistant to