Welcome a New Employee • Example Letters, Guides and Samples
This letter is more than a courtesy. It also assures the employee that he or she has made the right decision, and it confirms specific details about the position. You may also communicate this information with an internal memo. See also "Extend a job offer."
How to write this welcome letter:
- Express an enthusiastic statement of welcome, and help the new employee feel that he or she has made the right choice.
- Discuss additional details concerning the position such as job title, job description and duties, supervisors and subordinates, benefits, pay, parking, sick leave, hours, office or job site location, staff, and rules and regulations.
- If appropriate, reiterate the new employee's qualities or skills that most impressed those who made the hiring decision.
- Close with an optimistic look toward the future and extend an offer to help.
Example Letter #1
Thanks for joining our affiliate program. I hope you get excited when you consider the possibilities. I can't wait for you to get started. You might want to start by:
And we are always open for innovative ideas. If you have any ideas that you would like to share about increasing traffic and earning larger checks, I'm here to help out. I want our affiliation to be long and profitable.
So, let's get going! We'll make a lot of money and have fun in the process.
Example Letter #2
We are pleased you will be joining us as a manager in our produce division and anticipate your continued excellent work. To help you become better acquainted with the full range of our services, John Doe will show you around the plant and truck terminal.
Your major responsibility will be overseeing the inspection of all incoming and outgoing produce. We have also scheduled a new employee orientation on June 2, at 10:00 a.m. At the orientation you will receive information on Doe's benefits and investment opportunities. You will also be given a handbook which will cover holidays, manager expectations, and promotion information.
We are pleased that you have joined us and look forward to a pleasant association with you.
Example Letter #3
On behalf of the management, I welcome you as a new employee of the Doe Corporation and trust you will find your new position rewarding. I look forward to briefing you on March 12, at 9:00 a.m.
Enclosed are your employee handbook, an overview of our pay scale, and detailed information about benefits. Please read them carefully and sign the insurance enrollment form. Bring the enrollment form with you when you report for work on your first day.
I will be glad to answer any questions at that time.
Example Letter #4
We are pleased to welcome you as the newest member of the Doe Corporation!
As we discussed in your interview, you will be the new sales manager, working under the direction of Jane Doe, the marketing director. On your first day Monday, March 1, I will introduce you to Jane and the rest of the staff. You will also need to spend some time with the personnel director to fill out the necessary paperwork and sign up for the company benefits program. Please look over the enclosed Employee Handbook and become familiar with your benefit options. John can answer any questions you may have when you meet with him.
Also enclosed you will find a copy of your employment contract detailing the terms we discussed during your interview. Please review it carefully, and if you have any questions, call me immediately. If the contract meets with your approval, please sign it and return it in the enclosed envelope.
We are confident you will be an asset to the Doe Corporation. Please don't hesitate to call if I can be of help, either now or after you begin your employment. We look forward to seeing you in a few weeks.
Example Letter #5
Welcome to the firm. You are now a member of one of the most progressive investment banking firms in the country with offices across the country. Please file an expense report in Human Resources, and we will reimburse you for your moving expenses. We will cut your first paycheck on May 5.
We are very happy to have your analytical talent in our office. Apply it, work hard, and together we can reach new heights. Best wishes in your new position.
Example Letter #6
John has accepted a new position as Implementation Senior Manager, Human Resources, within the Human Resources Program Management Office (HR PMO). In his new job, John will be responsible for leading and managing a variety of HR Transformation project teams, which will include members from a number of different disciplines and functional areas.
John is a very experienced and successful manager who has contributed greatly to our department. He has worked to build and operate an exceptional customer support area, and has led our group in several efforts on important projects with an enterprise-wide significance.
He started his career with our company in 1987 right out of college, and he progressed to a supervisory position. Over the years he has been in several different roles within the company as a Business Service Representative, a Systems Analyst, Senior Manager of Business Support Services group, and most recently as Senior Manager. In each of these positions, John has demonstrated enthusiastic leadership, a positive attitude, and exceptional customer focus. His can-do spirit and interest in continuous improvement have made impacts on many in our department and in the business units served.
Please join me in thanking John for his contributions and leadership and in wishing him continued success.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Express an enthusiastic statement of welcome, and help the new employee feel that he or she has made the right choice.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Welcome aboard! You are now a member of the best legal team in Springfield. Our clients depend on us to represent their interests, and since our incorporation in 1980 we have enjoyed a very high success rate in our cases. Much of our success, of course, rests on the abilities of people just like you--intelligent and energetic assistants who do the work behind the scenes.
- We are very pleased that you decided to join the management team here at Doe Associates, one of the fastest growing companies in the state.
- We are glad you are here and ready to go to work!
- We are delighted that you are joining our engineering division. Doe Construction is a progressive firm dedicated to using environmentally friendly materials and methods. We anticipate that your training and experience in these areas will help us tremendously.
- We are happy to have you join us at the start of what appears to be a career in the publishing industry.
- Welcome to Doe Waste Management.
- Welcome to the Doe management team.
- Welcome to Springfield Corporation! We hope you will find this company a pleasant place to work, as we have.
- We are pleased to have you as our new accountant!
- We are pleased to welcome you into the firm.
- We are happy to have you here with us. We take great pride in our company and hope you will enjoy your work here.
- Everyone in the office is excited about "the new kid on the block," and eager to get acquainted.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- a pleasure to welcome you
- always glad to see
- are very pleased that
- are looking forward to
- are confident that
- are pleased that you
- are now a member of
- as your supervisor
- decided to join our team
- dedicated to the highest standards
- glad you are here
- hope that you will find
- in welcoming you to
- our clients depend on us to
- ready to go to work
- sure you will find many opportunities
- take great pride in
- the best team in
- the abilities of people like you
- to the position of
- welcome aboard
- will enjoy the challenges of
- your training and experience
- your talents and capabilities
2 Discuss additional details concerning the position such as job title, job description and duties, supervisors and subordinates, benefits, pay, parking, sick leave, hours, office or job site location, staff, and rules and regulations.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- Your employment contract is attached to this letter. If you agree with its terms, you should sign and return it within two weeks from this date.
- The company will pay your moving expenses up to $6,000, which will be given to you in a lump sum by check in three weeks. We do not require receipts, but you will no doubt want to keep careful records for tax purposes.
- Please come to my office at the Doe Building at 9:00 a.m. on March 10. I will show you around and introduce you to the staff.
- Your job title is Assistant Manager, Sales Division, and you will work under the direction of the division manager, Jane Doe.
- During our interview, we did not discuss the relationship between labor and management. As long as you keep the following guidelines in mind, that relationship will be good:
- Please read the enclosed Employee Handbook very carefully. Several aspects of the job, such as security, safety, and the zero-tolerance drug policy, require your most serious attention.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- a welcome packet
- a new employee packet
- can meet with you on
- check in with reception
- enclosed is your
- enclosed you will find
- familiarize yourself with
- get to know the ropes
- help you become better acquainted with
- is included with
- is company policy that
- just sign and return
- keep the following guidelines in mind
- read the enclosed
- report to the personnel office on
- report for work on
- require your immediate attention
- the enclosed information
- will work closely with
- will provide you with
- will be covered by
- will be working with
- your moving expenses
3 If appropriate, reiterate the new employee's qualities or skills that most impressed those who made the hiring decision.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- As we interviewed and evaluated the many fine candidates who applied for the position, we were continually impressed by the range and depth of your experience.
- We have been looking for someone with your skills for several months now.
- We believe that you are well qualified for the job.
- We hope that the staff and environment here will help you maintain that same high quality planning. If you need anything, please let us know immediately.
- Your qualifications in waste management were important in our decision.
- We are going to put your expertise to work immediately to help resolve a serious problem in the California office.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- admire the work you did
- believe that you can
- bring considerable expertise in
- especially liked your
- have been looking for
- maintain the high standard of
- only the most capable people
- put your expertise to work
- someone with your skills
- someone so highly recognized
- the range of your experience
- the many fine candidates
- were very impressed with
- who applied for this position
- will meet the needs of
- will be of benefit to
- with your education and experience
- your background in
- your knowledge of
- your ability to
4 Close with an optimistic look toward the future and extend an offer to help.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- We look forward to another productive year. Welcome aboard.
- As your supervisor, it is my job to help you be a happy and productive member of the team. Please let me know how I can help.
- I am always available to respond to your needs and concerns.
- I look forward to working with you and hearing your ideas about increasing productivity in the Doe office.
- Please inform me of any problems or difficulties you encounter as you get settled into your new position.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- a productive association
- a rewarding relationship
- am always available
- am very willing to
- any problems or difficulties you encounter
- any way I can help you
- as your supervisor
- as you get settled in
- expect another great year
- feel free to
- help is only a desk away
- hope you enjoy
- if you have any questions
- if there is anything you need
- let me know if
- look forward to
- meeting you in person
- member of the team
- will all profit from this association
- will make a fine addition to