Example Letter #1
How happy we are to learn that you and Jane are planning to marry. She is our pride and joy, and we are pleased that you see her many good qualities, too. We enjoyed your visit this weekend and could see that you love each other very much. Jane has told us many things about you, and we are anxious to get to know you better.
We are also pleased that you will be having your marriage in Springfield where most of her family will be able to attend. We trust that your family will also be able to come. We have room in our home for six additional people. I will call your parents to invite them to stay with us.
John is getting the yard ready for your garden party. He wants it to be perfect for this happy event. We are pleased with Jane's choice and look forward to spending more time with you.
Example Letter #2
We are excited that you have agreed to marry John and are happy to welcome you as our daughter-in-law. You are the only topic he has talked about for the past three months, so the entire family is eager to meet you.
It's nice that you have such an interest in geology, because most of our family are undaunted rock hunters. Each summer we take a trip to a different geological site to study various rock formations. We hope you will join us.
We look forward to seeing you on Friday and want you to feel comfortable as part of the family.
Example Letter #3
We are so pleased to welcome you to the Doe family! When Eric called us last night we were so excited to hear of your engagement. We want to send our best wishes to both of you. Eric's brother, Fred, is as excited as we are, and we are all eagerly looking forward to meeting you personally.
We don't know how much Eric has told you about us. In addition to John's job at the Doe Corporation, he enjoys fishing and photography. I teach English part-time at Springfield High School, where Fred is a senior. I also like to garden and write in my spare time. Fred is on the basketball team and likes to work on computers. Clancy, our black Labrador retriever, is also an important member of our family. We've had him since Eric was in junior high.
We know how busy you and Eric are with work and school. However, we hope you will be able to visit soon so that we can get to know each other better. We are planning to give a small party while you are here so that Eric's grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins can meet you too. Our family is very loving and close, and we are eager to welcome you as our newest member.
Ashley, we know that we will love you as much as Eric does, and we hope you will soon feel like a member of the family. We want you and Eric to know that we will always be available for help or advice if you need it. We believe that love and support are what families are for, and we hope you will let us know if we can help. Again, we send our love and best wishes, and we look forward to meeting you soon.
Example Letter #4
I want to start off on the right foot. I am so glad that my daughter is going to marry you. She has dated some fine men, but you, better than all the rest, fit so comfortably into our family. Ours is a large family, a happy one. I hope you always feel welcome.
Jane and I would like to help you anyway we can. Still, we don't want to step on any toes. If there is anything we can do for you while you're starting out, please let us know. I'm very sincere about this. In the meantime, know that we are glad to have you in the family.
Writing a personal letter to a prospective son-in-law or daughter-in-law can establish an open, friendly relationship with him or her. The letter should communicate unqualified acceptance.
1 Start with a direct statement of welcome.
- We are very happy that you are going to be part of the family, and are looking forward to meeting your family before the wedding in July.
- We enjoyed your visit last week. We think you and Jane are perfect for each other.
- We are delighted that you are joining our family.
- We are so happy to have you join the Doe family.
- Welcome to the Doe family!
- We are delighted to have you as part of our family!
- We are pleased to welcome you into the family.
- are delighted that you
- are very happy that you
- are all excited about
- are eager to meet your
- as your future father-in-law
- can't wait to meet you
- delighted to welcome you
- eager to get acquainted with
- enjoyed your visit
- getting to know you better
- happy to have you
- into the family
- join the family
- look forward to
- meeting your family
- part of the family
- pleased to welcome you
- seem so right for each other
- such a happy occasion
- welcome to the family
- were delighted to hear that
2 Provide information about yourself and the family that will help the reader become better acquainted.
- I am sure Eric has told you a little about us. John and I have been doing a lot of traveling since his retirement two years ago, but when we are home he keeps busy in his shop and I like to tend my garden.
- The Doe family has lived in Springfield for three generations, and we are thrilled that you have decided to move to this area when you finish school.
- We are a very close family.
- We have a very large family, with many aunts, uncles, and cousins.
- I have worked in industrial sales for 25 years now, and I will soon retire.
- Since I have no sisters or daughters of my own, I have long looked forward to my son's wedding.
- am thrilled at the prospect of
- are thrilled that
- are quite a large family
- are quite a small family
- for several generations
- has scattered all over the
- have long looked forward to
- have lived in Springfield for
- have worked in
- is very important to us
- is employed at
- like to keep busy with my
- many aunts, uncles, and cousins
- one of our favorite sayings is
- our family enjoys
- our family has lived in
- share an interest in
- since his retirement
- spend much of our time
- tells me that you also enjoy
3 Offer any help or assistance the newlyweds might need that you are willing and able to give.
- We are sorry that our house is not large enough for you to live here while you are getting started, but I am sure there are other ways we can help.
- I know you are not interested in the construction business right now, but there will always be a place for you in my company if you change your mind.
- You are always welcome to visit or call at any time.
- I hope you will always feel comfortable talking to us and seeking help when you need it.
- We are happy that you will be staying with us for two months this summer before fall semester starts.
- all need a little extra help sometimes
- always welcome to
- any way in which we can help
- are sorry that
- as you establish your own family
- as you set out on your own
- don't hesitate to ask
- happy to help in any way we can
- happy that you will be
- hope you will always feel comfortable
- regret that we are unable to
- understand if you would prefer to
- until you get on your feet
- want you to be able to
- want you to feel comfortable
- want you to know that
- welcome to stay with us until
- will be happy to
- will always be a place for you
- will try not to give unsolicited advice
4 Express anticipation of a good relationship in the future. If you have not yet met, it might be appropriate to suggest or arrange a visit.
- Again, we are happy to welcome you into the family.
- We would love to see you on Thanksgiving so we can talk and get better acquainted.
- Why not come and spend a weekend with us? Any weekend this month would be fine.
- We are holding a small party on 1 September to celebrate John's sixtieth birthday. We would love to see you there.
- We realize that your schedule is tight, but we do hope you will be able to visit with us for a few days before the wedding.
- You are always welcome to visit or call.
- We have never seen her so radiant as she is when she talks about you. We look forward to seeing you again at the wedding on April 23.
- are anxious to meet you
- are always welcome to
- before the wedding
- come down to meet us
- could you join us for
- getting to know you better
- get better acquainted
- hope you will be able to
- look forward to
- meeting your parents
- realize that your schedule is
- seeing you again
- spend a few days with
- visit or call any time
- visit with us
- welcome you into the family
- will be happy to
- would be happy to see you
- would love to see you
- would be delighted if you could