Remind a Customer That Payment Is Past Due — Collections 2 of 6 • Example Letters, Guides and Samples
This is the second letter in the collection series. It still takes the form of a reminder, but is more direct and less cordial. It should firmly ask for payment and should carry a more urgent tone. As with the first letter, it may appear on the bottom of a billing statement.
How to write this collection letter:
- If at all probable, concede that the customer may have forgotten to send the payment.
- Remind the customer that the payment is past due.
- Request immediate payment.
Example Letter #1
We know that you are busy during the summer months. You may have overlooked your first payment on the books you ordered. Please take out your checkbook while you have this reminder in your hand and write that check for $40 now. We look forward to your prompt payment.
Example Letter #2
I understand how busy you are and realize that you may have forgotten to send us your payment. I still have not received your $25.00 check, which includes late fees for December, 2018. Please do not procrastinate any longer. Send your payment as soon as possible. If my records are incorrect or if you have other concerns, call me at 555-5555.
Example Letter #3
This is the second reminder we have sent you regarding the balance on your account. Please be aware that your account is now thirty days past due. We need your immediate payment in order to avoid transferring your account to a collection agency.
Example Letter #4
We understand how a busy person can overlook making a bill payment. Our records show that your June payment is still outstanding. If you have not yet mailed your payment for $100, please remit it immediately. Thank you.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 If at all probable, concede that the customer may have forgotten to send the payment.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- We understand how busy you are and realize that you may have forgotten to send your payment on time.
- We were surprised to find that we still had not received your payment.
- If we have not received payment because of some problem, please let me know immediately.
- We are confident that you did not intentionally overlook our last communication requesting payment.
- It has come to our attention that you neglected to bring your past due account up to date.
- I have enclosed a copy of invoice #123 for your convenience.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- 14 days overdue
- missed your payment due date
- are aware of your obligation
- are confident you did not intentionally overlook
- believe you intended to pay us on time
- busy time of the year
- could be that
- did you realize your payment
- did you know your payment
- do not doubt that
- have you forgotten to send your remittance
- have yet to send your payment
- have enclosed a copy of invoice #123
- have not received your payment
- if I have not contacted the right department
- if payments are handled by another department
- in case you have misplaced the original
- it surprised us to find
- neglected to bring your past due account up to date
- noticed that you neglected
- our last communication requested payment
- please let us know if there has been a change of address
- please let me know
- please contact us
- realize that things get hectic
- realize that you may have forgotten
- simple misunderstanding
- simply overlooked
- still have not sent your payment
- understand how busy you may have been
- unintentionally overlooked the payment date
2 Remind the customer that the payment is past due.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- This is your second notice. Your payment of $500 is now 45 days past due.
- Although we sent you a letter two weeks ago, notifying you that your account is past due, we still have not received payment.
- We wonder if you have forgotten that your payment is 45 days past due.
- The $389.87 due on your account is now 45 days late.
- We want to remind you that your account is now three weeks past due.
- Our recent review of your account reveals that your payment of $6,738.93 is overdue.
- We remind you that our credit terms dictate prompt monthly payments. You still owe $39.17.
- As of today, we still have not received your check for $299.99.
- We write to remind you of your unpaid debt of $1,986.38.
- We direct your attention to the $805.00 you should have paid last month.
- You still have not paid the $4,439 you owe for our services in March.
- We are still waiting for your April payment.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- a friendly reminder
- a reassessment of your account
- a recent review of your account
- a review of your credit file reveals
- a recent audit of your account shows
- account is still past due
- account has yet to be brought up to date
- account is still delinquent
- although we wrote you a letter two weeks ago
- an analysis of your account
- an evaluation of your account
- are still waiting for your March payment
- are still waiting for
- by the terms of our agreement
- call your attention to
- certain you must have
- direct your attention to
- for not sending your payment in on time
- for services rendered on March 15
- have yet to receive payment on your account
- just want to remind
- notifying you that your account is past due
- our records indicate
- our credit terms dictate
- our agreement dictates
- payment is still past due
- prompt monthly payments in full
- remind you of your unpaid debt of
- remittance has not been received
- should have paid last month
- still have not received payment
3 Request immediate payment.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- We will appreciate your immediate cooperation.
- Our financial department will appreciate your prompt payment.
- We want to continue offering you credit. Please help us do so by mailing your payment today.
- We must receive your payment by March 9.
- We expect prompt payment.
- Please send your check for $385.00 now.
- I suggest immediate payment of the full amount due on your account.
- Although you did not respond to my first attempt to collect payment on your account, I trust that this time you will remit payment in full.
- Since payment is long past due, we request immediate attention to this matter.
- Won't you please clear up this matter today by sending us a check for the full amount!
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- although you did not respond
- ask for your immediate attention
- ask for prompt reply
- by sending us a check for the full amount
- clear up this matter
- don't procrastinate
- expect to receive a payment within
- expect to see your payment within one week
- feel you must consider
- find an alternative
- first priority
- fully expect
- if you don't have the funds
- immediate payment in full
- pay off your account
- please resolve this issue
- remit full payment
- remit your payment today
- request immediate payment
- request payment immediately
- your prompt payment
- your immediate cooperation