Respond to a Request For Your Resume • Example Letters and Guides
When someone solicits a resume from you, provide the specific information that was requested. Discuss your qualifications in the order of their importance for the job requirements.
How to write this cover letter:
- Refer to the request and express appreciation. Identify the position by job title and briefly define your major qualifications.
- Expand on your most important work experience by providing specific details, cases, and examples. If you are qualified for the position only by your education and have no real job experience, you may want to omit this section.
- Explain how your formal education, training, or experience has prepared you for the position. Discuss such things as significant courses, seminars, professors, projects, presentations, and papers.
- Discuss other relevant information.
- Solicit an interview in your closing paragraph.
Example Letter #1
In response to your request for additional information, I have completed the personal information form you sent and have enclosed a copy of my resume.
I have been Dr. John Doe's executive medical secretary for the past two years. My responsibilities include transcribing medical records, billing insurance, making appointments, greeting patients, scheduling hospital tests, and handling correspondence.
I graduated from Doe Business College in 2018 in the top 10 percent of my class and received "excellent" ratings in typing, office machines, dictation, and use of several word processing programs. I have also taken classes in technical writing and office management.
I enjoy our community's sports programs and currently coach a woman's basketball team. I look forward to meeting with you in person to discuss my qualifications.
Example Letter #2
Thank you for informing me of your plans to develop new software and for inviting me to submit my resume. Since I have had five years experience as an editor and a documentation manager for Doe Corporation, I believe that, given the opportunity, I could competently handle the development of documentation for your new product.
I have enclosed my resume for your information. Although my academic major was in another area, my professional work experience has been in software documentation. I appreciate your consideration and look forward to meeting with you in person to discuss my qualifications.
Example Letter #3
I enjoyed talking with you at the Doe's dinner party last Thursday. I hadn't considered using my language skills by working for the Foreign Service, but now the idea intrigues me. At your request, I am sending a copy of my resume and references. For the past three years I have spent most of my time in Indonesia working on an oil drilling project. Before that I worked in Tokyo as a real estate agent, translator, and ESL teacher.
My experiences have given me fluency in several languages. I have also acted as an unofficial representative of the United States when dealing with local businesses and political leaders. At Doe University, I studied linguistics and international business, intending to work in a multinational corporation after graduation. The idea of serving my country overseas holds much greater appeal for me now. I look forward to meeting with you once you have had a chance to review my qualifications.
Example Letter #4
I sincerely enjoyed your presentation and our conversation afterward at the annual Database Convention in San Juan. As you requested, I have enclosed my resume for your review. I am looking for a new position that will challenge my programming abilities.
I have significant programming experience, including work on two of the four major word processing programs, a spreadsheet program, and an interactive database management program. I am fluent in UNIX, Windows, C, and C++ programming.
I received my bachelor's degree from Springfield State University where I won the "Programming Innovator of the Year" award. I graduated in the top 10 percent of my class. I have been active in Springfield community affairs ever since graduation, including serving on the Chamber of Commerce board and the Organizing Committee for the annual "Innovator's Festival."
I am happy that you wish to review my resume and look forward to an opportunity to sit down with you and discuss how my skills would benefit the Doe Development Corporation.
Example Letter #5
Thank you for responding so quickly to my employment inquiry. I have a great interest in the position you have available and feel that I can provide the ideal match for its requirements. In response to your request, I am enclosing my resume for your review. It includes details regarding my educational background and work experience for the last five years.
I appreciate your interest in me and the qualifications I possess. I am confident that I will provide a meaningful addition to your staff. After you have had a chance to read my resume, please feel free to contact me with any questions or if you require any additional information.
I look forward to meeting you in person to discuss this position and my credentials in further detail. I am available for an interview most mornings and early afternoons. You will find my contact information at the top of my enclosed resume. Thank you again for taking the time to respond to my application. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Example Letter #6
As requested, I am sending my resume for review. I sincerely appreciate your interest in learning more about my experiences and qualifications, and I am confident that you will find a clear and firm link between my abilities and the needs of (Name of Company).
If you would like more details about the services I could offer your company, I encourage you to contact the personal references listed at the end of my resume for firsthand accounts of the quality of my previous work. Of course, please feel free to contact me at any time as well; I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you in person. Thank you very much for your time and consideration.
Example Letter #7
Thank you for your recent request to see my resume. Because I am sincerely interested in the ideas and offerings of (Name of Company), I hope that the enclosed information will communicate the significant connection between my abilities and the qualifications desired for the position of (Name of Position).
To supplement the descriptions on my resume, I encourage you to contact the professional references listed at the end of my resume for personal accounts of my abilities and successful previous experiences. In addition, if you have any questions, or if you would like more details about the services I could offer your company, please feel free to contact me at any time; I welcome the opportunity to speak with you in person. I appreciate your time and consideration.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Refer to the request and express appreciation. Identify the position by job title and briefly define your major qualifications.
Sentences for Step 1
- In response to our phone conversation of May 10, I have enclosed my resume and references as you requested. I feel I possess all the qualifications for the Secretary/Receptionist position, including knowledge of the latest version of Doe Way, bookkeeping, accounting, and customer relations skills.
- I enjoyed your presentation at the professional meeting in Springfield last Wednesday and appreciate your interest in my work. As you requested, I have enclosed a copy of my resume. You may recall that I feel limited in my current position and am looking for new challenges in the field of bridge design and highway engineering.
- In response to your request for additional information, I have completed the personnel form you sent and have enclosed a copy of my resume.
- Although I said on the phone that I am not dissatisfied with my current position, I have decided to follow your suggestion and consider other possibilities. Enclosed is a copy of my resume outlining my major qualifications and detailing my experience.
- As you requested, I have enclosed a copy of my resume detailing my experience and qualifications as a business manager.
- I received your recruiting letter and have enclosed the information you requested. Although I had never considered a career in the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the information you sent introduced me to a new range of job possibilities in mathematics. I believe I have the skills you are seeking.
Phrases for Step 1
- am submitting my resume
- am looking for new challenges
- am excited about the possibility of
- appears to be an opportune time to
- appreciate your interest in
- appreciate your invitation to
- as well as the references you asked for
- as you requested
- background is in
- believe I have a great deal to offer
- describing my experience
- my experience has been excellent preparation for
- for inviting me to
- for asking me to
- for thinking of me in connection with
- have enclosed my resume
- have enclosed a copy for your review
- have the skills to
- have completed the forms
- in response to your request
- in my current position
- in the field of
- my skills include
- my extensive background in
- outlining my major qualifications
- thank you for
- to send you my resume
- that you requested
- would be happy to consider
- your request for additional information
2 Expand on your most important work experience by providing specific details, cases, and examples. If you are qualified for the position only by your education and have no real job experience, you may want to omit this section.
Sentences for Step 2
My energy, experience, and skills are focused in one direction: maintaining my company's financial records in impeccable condition.
- I was instrumental in introducing computerized methods into the accounting process at Doe Corporation at a time when computers were still innovative and considered the objects of much skepticism. Since then, I have continually worked to keep the equipment here up-to-date and operated by competent people.
- The result of this strict attention to detail and technology has been an accounting system above reproach, as proven through several IRS audits.
- I have experience in several areas of international banking.
- Administrative/ Office Support
Because of my broad secretarial background in various settings, I feel I would be an asset to your company. I have spent five years working in several different departments at First National Bank of Doe. Skills I developed there enabled me to progress from bookkeeper to Trust Operations Secretary for the Executive Vice President of the bank.
- I have been Dr. John Doe's executive medical secretary for the past two years. My responsibilities include transcribing medical records, billing insurance, making appointments, greeting patients, scheduling hospital tests, and handling correspondence.
My experience with software includes working with presentation-oriented programs, word processors, star maps, animated and audio-oriented encyclopedias, automatic checkbooks, graphics programs, as well as various other types of programs. I hope to be closely involved in building software that will be user-friendly, inviting, and exciting to use.
- Construction Management
Because of my experience in the construction industry, I have total confidence in my ability to perform the job responsibilities outlined in your recruiting letter.
You requested more information about my experience in California. I was on-site engineer on six highway bridges while working for the Doe Company and supervised the seismic retrofitting project on the San Francisco Bay Bridge following the 1989 earthquake. All of this work required adherence to state specifications and close cooperation with state engineers and inspectors.
- Hotel/Restaurant Management
I have managed large catering operations for the last 15 years, providing food service for different groups and tastes, including construction crews, movie extras, weddings, and corporate groups. I have the knowledge, skills, and experience necessary to provide high quality service on time and within budget.
- Operations Management
During the 15 years I worked for Doe Corporation, I was instrumental in doubling the size of the company and radically increasing its market share.
- As Vice President of Doe Corporation for the last seven years, I overhauled the inventory system for greater efficiency, eliminated production waste, and negotiated an equitable contract with the machinists' union.
- I have significant experience in general management and finance involving start-ups and turnarounds.
- As I indicated on the phone, I am looking for a position in upper management where my experience and management abilities will be used to good advantage.
My experience in both pharmaceutical and electronic equipment sales is extensive. While working for Doe Technology, my territory covered the entire West Coast. I am currently supervising the work of 25 salespeople in the Midwest Division.
Phrases for Step 2
- ability to perform at
- am responsible for
- am currently supervising the work of
- am expert in
- among other things, this work involved
- as a result of my experience in
- energy, experience, and skills are focused on
- extensive experience in
- for the last three years
- have had considerable experience with
- have confidence in my ability to
- have the knowledge, skills, and experience necessary to
- have developed skills in
- have a broad background in
- have continually pressed for
- have continually worked toward
- in several different areas
- introduced improved methods of
- provided high quality service
- responsibilities have included
- spent five years working as a
- was instrumental in
- work experience includes
- would be an asset to
- would like to be closely involved in
3 Explain how your formal education, training, or experience has prepared you for the position. Discuss such things as significant courses, seminars, professors, projects, presentations, and papers.
Sentences for Step 3
In a few more weeks I will be completing my degree in accounting at Doe State University. In addition to the standard accounting course, I studied Spanish. I am fluent in the language and fully prepared to work with your Spanish-speaking clients.
- Administrative Support
I am a recent graduate of the Secretarial Science program at Springfield Community College where I took courses in typing, dictation, office machines, technical writing, and office management.
I plan to graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science in December of this year. I have experience in UNIX, Windows, Pascal, C, and C++ programming.
- I am currently studying Computer Science at Doe University where I have learned C programming language and used the UNIX operating system. Projects I have written using C include a 32-bit operating system, data base, graphics system, data management system, and many other programs. Most of these projects were written under the UNIX operating system. I am also self-taught in programming the Windows operating system.
- Construction Management
I took a degree in Construction Management from Springfield State University five years ago. I have frequently found myself ahead of peers, who did not seek degrees, especially when it came to understanding and using the new industry technology.
My degree in Mechanical Engineering from Doe University has thoroughly prepared me for the kind of communications work you described in your advertisement. I took several courses in communication systems and participated in the design of a new system during my internship with NASA.
- My degree from Doe University is designed to provide a leading-edge background in Engineering. I have studied instrumentation and systems for reducing noise and component vibration. I have also designed and built both high and low pass filters and have hands-on experience with accelerometers.
- Hotel/Restaurant Management
I received my degree in Restaurant and Hotel Management at Doe University in 1988, obtaining a thorough grounding in the industry from one of the best programs in the country.
I took my law degree at Doe University, graduating in the top 25 percent of my class. My area of expertise, by training and from work experience, is in riparian rights.
- Operations Management
I feel that my Doe University BSME and MBA degrees make me a strong candidate for a variety of operations management positions.
- I will complete my MBA at Springfield State University in a few more weeks.
- Research Science
I am a senior at Doe State University, where I maintain a 3.7 GPA. I will graduate with a bachelor's degree in Human biology and a minor in Microbiology in April. Much of my experience in genetic research comes from working with DNA cloning and DNA restriction digest cutting and analysis. My goal is to become a research scientist.
I have prepared for a position in medical sales by completing an undergraduate degree in biology at Doe State College, with a minor in Communications.
Phrases for Step 3
- a bachelor's degree in
- am fluent in
- am fully prepared to work with
- am a recent graduate of
- currently studying at
- expect to receive my degree within
- have had experience in
- have prepared myself to
- have the ability to
- have designed and built
- have hands-on experience with
- have become proficient at
- have received training in
- have worked with
- in the top 10 percent of my class
- maintained a GPA of
- one of the finest programs in the country
- participated in the
- plan to graduate with
- projects I have written include
- received a thorough grounding in
- received a degree in
- taught myself how to
- took part in the
- took courses in
- understand the use of
- will be completing my degree in
4 Discuss other relevant information.
Sentences for Step 4
- Along with my experience in the field, I am also active in the community. I feel that people involved in real estate should be informed about local issues and be sensitive to community feelings.
- if you are interested in my qualifications, I will gladly provide references.
- I am willing to both relocate and travel, according to the company's needs.
- Much of my employment has been overseas.
- I will be happy to provide references at your request.
- I am interested in a position that offers long-term stability in one area.
Phrases for Step 4
- a great supporter of
- active in the community
- along with my experience
- am interested in a position that offers
- am willing to relocate
- am familiar with your company's
- enjoy participating in
- have an abiding interest in
- have worked as a volunteer for
- have followed the growth of your company
- is a longtime hobby of mine
- received an award for
- social and business contacts offer
- that offers long-term stability
- will travel as necessary
- will provide references
5 Solicit an interview in your closing paragraph.
Sentences for Step 5
- This opportunity interests me and would allow my strengths to shine. I will follow up with you soon.
- I appreciate your consideration of me for the Executive Secretary position. I look forward to an interview with you to discuss my qualifications and your needs.
- I look forward to meeting with you after you have had time to consider my resume.
- I am eager to discuss my qualifications with you in relation to the Research Associate position at Doe Corporation. I will call your office to arrange an interview at your convenience.
- I am interested in filling the Lab Technician position you advertised. I am sure that I can be an asset to your organization. I will call next week in the hope of arranging a meeting so that we might discuss my qualifications.
- I am certain that I could make a valuable contribution to your company, and I would like to set up a meeting to discuss my qualifications in more detail.
- I look forward to speaking with you directly about how my education and experience could meet your company's needs.
Phrases for Step 5
- after you have had time to
- am sure that
- am interested in a position that offers
- am eager to
- at your convenience
- can offer your company
- can meet your needs
- can be an asset to
- discuss my qualifications with
- discuss the position with
- if you would like to
- if you are interested
- look forward to
- make a valuable contribution
- scheduling an interview with
- speaking with you directly
- to arrange a meeting
- would be happy to meet with you
- would like to meet with you
- would like to talk to you in person