Example Letter #1
While currently searching for a challenging opportunity working as a (Name of Position), I have been researching for information about the strongest (Name of Industry) companies in the region. Your organization is by far the most fascinating and attractive group.
I am writing today, therefore, to express my excitement about the purpose and practice of (Name of Company) and my sincere interest to learn of employment opportunities for which I might apply. As the enclosed resume demonstrates, my experiences and abilities make me highly compatible with the culture and direction of your company, and so I would greatly appreciate being notified about any suitable opportunities.
If you have any questions, of if you would like to discuss further the talents I could offer, I would warmly welcome the opportunity to speak with you in person or over the phone. Please feel free to contact me at any time.
Example Letter #2
I am interested in a position as a technical writer and editor for Doe Electronics. I hope my enclosed resume will be of interest to you.
I graduated from Doe University in 2018 with a major in English and a minor in Electrical Engineering, an admittedly unlikely combination. Still, it has served me well. I have been able to bridge the communications gap between technicians and the general public, not only in writing readable manuals, but also in writing successful advertising copy. I hope to hear from you after you have had a chance to review my resume.
Example Letter #3
Although you may have a fully staffed sales force at Doe Pharmaceuticals, I believe that my background will interest you. After completing an undergraduate degree in chemistry at Springfield University, I worked in the lab at Springfield Hospital, having frequent contact with staff physicians. Later I worked for Johnson Pharmaceuticals in Research and Development, which gave me a solid background in drug interaction and chemical composition.
In addition, my position as President of the Springfield Chamber of Commerce has allowed me to use my leadership and sales abilities. Please take a careful look at my resume. I know I could be an asset to your company. Call me at 555-5555, if you would like to know more.
Example Letter #4
I am interested in being considered for a position in sales and marketing management. Your recent partnership with Doe Corporation brings unlimited opportunities for the new millennium. I would like to help you capitalize on those opportunities by effectively leading a sales force to increase your revenues. As a seasoned sales professional with an extensive understanding of the communications and PC markets and a track record of success, I offer you the following:
- Ten years in telecommunications; four years in wireless
- Excellent sales and marketing skills
- Superior oral and written skills
- Refined interpersonal skills
- Public speaking and effective motivational skills for large audiences
- Sales management experience both in the field and at the corporate level
- Technical skills, including PC hardware and software, Internet, and e-mail
- Enthusiasm, loyalty, integrity, motivation, and good judgment
My future is filled with optimism and a sincere desire to prosper. I propose to share my wealth of knowledge and experience as your next sales manager as Doe prepares for explosive growth. I can relocate almost immediately.
Thank you for your time and consideration. I will contact you shortly to discuss this opportunity in greater depth.
Example Letter #5
I am a senior electrical engineering student at Springfield University and will be graduating there in May. I am writing you now to inquire about possible summer employment opportunities at Doe Electronics.
I have successfully completed various courses in computer programming and computer applications. This training has provided me with the qualifications necessary to produce electronic controls for all cutting edge automotive applications. I am familiar with Motorola HC11 controllers as well as their application in embedded systems. In a few short weeks, my training will be completed and I will be ready to implement my skills and training in a challenging position in electrical engineering. I feel I could make a valuable contribution to the automotive applications department at Doe Electronics.
I understand that you will be representing Doe Electronics with a booth at Springfield University's career fair on March 19th. I would appreciate the opportunity to meet with you at that time to discuss my qualifications and answer any questions you might have. If you would like to contact me before then, please call me at (555) 555-5555.
I have enclosed my resume for your review.
Example Letter #6
I am writing to inquire about employment opportunities with your company. I have been looking into several job opportunities in this field and am impressed with what your company has to offer. I possess a full range of capabilities that I could bring to your organization. My education and prior work experience have adequately prepared me for the demands of several positions in the administrative assistant field. I am a dedicated professional who is eager to take on new challenges and responsibilities, and I am confident that I have the qualifications necessary to make a valuable contribution to your organization.
I would appreciate it if you would contact me regarding any job openings you currently have or will have in the near future. I would be more than happy to submit a resume and/or meet with you in person. Please feel free to reach me either by phone (555-5555) or by e-mail (Jane@Doe.com). Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Example Letter #7
Having recently graduated from my studies, during which I acquired strong theoretical and practical abilities as a (Name of Position), I am currently seeking a challenging position in a local (Name of Industry) company where I could use my energy and talents to contribute to the company's quality and growth. Since (Name of Company) is highest on my list of exciting local endeavors, I am writing today to inquire about possible employment opportunities.
To demonstrate my unique skills and potentials, I have enclosed my resume for your review. If possible, I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you in person to express my sincere interest and to further detail the valuable skills and qualities I could offer to your company.
I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for your time and consideration.
Example Letter #8
My purpose in writing is to apply for the marketing position that Doe Medical Supply posted on its web site. John Doe, in your sales department, also encouraged me to apply.
Your list of desired qualifications includes a background in foreign language to work with Doe's international clientele. I speak fluent Spanish and German, two of your prime markets. In addition, working at City Pharmaceutical over the last three years has given me valuable experience in the medical supply industry. I am ready to further develop my marketing skills at Doe Medical Supply.
I look forward to an opportunity to discuss this marketing position. I will contact your office next week to set up a convenient time for an interview. Thank you for your time and consideration.
Unsolicited applications are typically ignored by the people to whom they are sent, but occasionally they are successful. Plan on a mass mailing campaign to a highly targeted group and expect a very low rate of return.
1 Be direct and provocative in the opening statement, but also make sure that the purpose of the letter is clear by identifying the position you are seeking.
- Are you currently in need of a financial officer with excellent credentials?
- I am seeking employment in the upper management of a small corporation.
- After serving as Vice President of Operations of Doe Motor Company for the past four years, I am looking for a senior management position in a medium-sized manufacturing firm.
- As you can see from my enclosed resume, I have directed public relations campaigns for some of Springfield's most prestigious firms.
- My wife recently accepted a job offer from a San Francisco law firm, so we will be moving to the Bay Area in the next few weeks. I am looking for a position in technical writing and editing in which I can take advantage of my 10 years of experience.
- I am inquiring about technical writing and editing employment opportunities in your company.
- Although you are not currently advertising for civil engineers, I think you might be interested in my unique qualifications and abilities in seismic retrofitting.
- I am very happy and successful in my present position
- although you are not currently advertising for
- am very interested in
- am looking for a position in
- am looking for
- am thoroughly impressed with your
- am currently searching for
- can use my experience
- enclosed resume will
- experience in the field of
- have no doubt heard that
- in a small corporation
- in upper management
- in my present position
- inquiring about employment opportunities
- present position provides
- seek a responsible position in
- seek employment in
- use my skills and experience
- use my training
- wish to work with
- might be interested in
- would be of interest to you
2 Briefly summarize your major qualifications and accomplishments by discussing your education and/or experience.
Three weeks from now I will complete my degree in accounting from Springfield State University. In addition to the standard accountancy course, I have further prepared myself by completing a minor in Spanish. I am fluent in the language and am fully prepared to work with Spanish-speaking clients.
- Administrative/Office Support
I am a recent graduate of the Secretarial Science program at Doe Community College, where I took courses in typing, dictation, office machines, WordPerfect, Lotus 123, technical writing, and office management.
- I am currently working as a secretary/receptionist in a busy medical office, but am eager to find additional challenges and opportunities for advancement.
I am currently finishing my program in Computer Science at Doe State University, where I am fluent in the C programming language and the use of the UNIX operating system. Projects I have written using C include a 32-bit operating system, data base, graphics system, and data management system. Most of these projects were written under the UNIX operating system. I have also taught myself how to program in the Windows operating system.
- Construction Management
I received a degree in Construction Management from Doe State University five years ago, and I am happy with the quality of training I received. I have frequently found myself ahead of my peers who do not have degrees, especially when it comes to understanding and using the new industry technology.
My degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Springfield has thoroughly prepared me for the kind of communications work you described in your advertisement. I took several courses in communication systems, and I participated in the design of a new system during my internship with NASA.
- I obtained my degree in Engineering from Springfield State University, and now have 15 years of experience in highway engineering.
- Hotel/Restaurant Management
I received my degree in Restaurant and Hotel Management from Doe State University in 2019, obtaining a thorough grounding in the industry from one of the finest programs in the country.
I received my law degree at the University of Springfield, graduating in the top 25 percent of my class. My area of expertise is in riparian rights.
- Operations Management
My Doe University BSME and MBA degrees qualify me for a variety of operations management positions.
- I will complete my MBA at Springfield State University in a few more weeks.
- Research Science
I am currently a laboratory technician at Doe State University. Much of my experience with genetic research comes from working with DNA cloning and DNA restriction digest cutting and analysis. I feel I have become an excellent research scientist during the last five years since earning my degree.
I prepared myself for a position in medical equipment sales by completing an undergraduate degree in biology at Doe State College, with a minor in communications. I have advanced steadily while working for Springfield Medical.
- Operations Management
My MBA is in Management Information Systems, and I have administrative experience in computer systems management as well.
- Since earning an MBA at Springfield University, I have advanced rapidly through a succession of financial positions, including controller, regional controller, and Vice President of Finance and Administration. My leadership and management skills have materially contributed to the growth and credibility of the companies I have served. At Doe Corporation, I reduced operating expenses by more than $800,000 annually.
I have been involved in construction equipment sales for 15 years and enjoy the work very much. I know the industry, have good contacts among local contractors, and have frequently been honored as top salesperson of the year. Each year I have increased my sales by more than 20 percent over the previous year.
- am fluent in
- am currently working as a
- am finishing up my program in
- am fully prepared to
- am seeking a position in
- area of expertise is
- carrying a minor in
- during an internship with
- education has provided me with
- has prepared me for
- have a broad background in
- have become proficient at
- have designed and built
- have continually pressed for
- have three years of experience in
- have frequently been
- have been involved in
- have prepared further by
- have experience in
- have advanced steadily in
- have had considerable experience with
- in my present position
- introduced improved methods of
- leadership and management skills
- my degree is in
- one of the finest programs in the country
- participated in the
- received high quality training in
- received a thorough grounding in
- received my degree from
- recently graduated from
- responsibilities have included
- since completing my degree
- spent five years working as a
- taught myself how to
- took courses in
3 Refer to your attached resume and the kind of information that can be found there.
- My attached resume provides details of my experience.
- A copy of my resume describing my skills and accomplishments is attached.
- My credentials are summarized in the attached resume. I will be happy to provide additional information and references as necessary.
- I will provide references if needed.
- Much of my employment has been overseas.
- I will be happy to provide references at your request.
- I am interested in a position that offers long-term stability in one area.
- My qualifications for this position are detailed in my resume.
- are detailed in my resume
- at your request
- attached resume provides
- copy of my resume
- credentials are summarized in
- describing my skills and accomplishments
- employment has been overseas
- highlight some of my achievements
- in the attached resume
- interested in a position in
- list of credentials
- long-term stability in one area
- plus extensive experience in
- happy to provide additional
- provides full details of my experience
- qualifications for this position
- relate to your requirements
- resume is attached
- strong background in
- travel as necessary
- will provide additional references
- willing to relocate
4 Close with a reiteration of your opening assertion and a specific request for action or contact.
- If you currently have need for a person with my qualifications, I would appreciate an opportunity to speak with you in person.
- I have enclosed my resume for your perusal. If you have questions concerning my qualifications and experience, please contact me at 555-5555.
- I hope you will take a moment to run through my resume and think about your current and future staffing needs. I can be reached by phone at 555-5555, and my fax machine (555-1111) is on both day and night.
- I have enclosed a self-addressed and stamped post card for your convenience. You can also reach me by phone or by fax.
- If I can provide you with more information or answer any questions, please call me at 555-5555.
- a personal meeting with you
- after considering my resume
- after reading my resume
- am eager to discuss
- answer any questions
- arrange an appointment
- at your convenience
- can make a valuable contribution
- can make an immediate contribution
- can be an asset to
- can reach me at
- current and future staffing needs
- discuss my qualifications with
- discuss my skills and your needs
- discuss in more detail
- do not hesitate to call
- enclosed a self-addressed and stamped
- explains my qualifications further
- have enclosed my resume
- hope you will take a moment to
- if you have any questions
- if you currently have a need for
- opportunity to speak with you
- a person with my qualifications
- please contact me if
- provide you with more information
- schedule a meeting with
- set up a meeting
- speak with you directly
- to offer your company
- will call your office next week
- would be happy to meet with you