Write a Get-well Message Regarding an Employee's or Business Associate's Family Member Who Is Suffering from Illness or Injury • Example Letters, Guides and Samples
A get-well letter to an employee or business associate for a family member's suffering should carry a feeling of warmth to the recipient. It should also offer some genuine encouragement and help. Keep your letter brief and sincere.
How to write this get-well letter:
- Express your concern.
- Reassure the reader of your support.
- Close with best wishes.
Example Letter #1
I am very sorry to hear about Jane's hospitalization and understand that it surely must be difficult to concentrate on the work. Feel free to take off half-days this week. Just let me know when you'll be gone. Please give our best wishes to Jane when you see her.
Example Letter #2
I am so sorry your daughter is struggling again in the hospital. She is one tough little girl, and she is lucky to have a mother like you. We understand that this places an extra burden on you as you try to maintain your work schedule. Please remember that your sick leave days can be taken when you need to be with her. Rest assured that we are all pulling for little Jane, and you.
Example Letter #3
I am sorry to hear of your mother's illness. Few things in the world are more difficult than seeing your mother suffer. When you visit her next, please give her our best wishes for a quick and full recovery. Please speak to John if you need some time off to be with her.
Example Letter #4
I understand that your son Eric is in the hospital. I don't know how ill he is but I know how stressful life can be with a family member in the hospital. If you need some free time to be with him, I am sure we can arrange it. Take care of your family. You have our support here at work.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Express your concern.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- It must be difficult for you to juggle all you have to do with your daughter so ill. Please accept my heartfelt sympathy.
- We were so sorry to hear of John's automobile accident. With everything else you have going on, it sounds as if this couldn't have come at a worse time.
- All of us here at Doe Corporation extend our best wishes for Jane's full and speedy recovery.
- You must feel overwhelmed with both business and domestic responsibilities to attend to while Jane is recovering from her illness.
- I am sorry to hear that Mary is not well. Nothing can make a father feel more helpless than watching his child suffer.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- a tough thing to go through
- a real challenge for you
- all saddened by this setback
- at a most inopportune time
- is back in the hospital
- couldn't have come at a worse time
- extend our best wishes
- for a full and speedy recovery
- glad to hear everything went well
- having a hard time
- her admission to
- hope the next few weeks pass smoothly
- hope it's not too serious
- hope things go according to plan
- hope it will not be a lengthy
- our sympathy goes out to you
- shouldering a heavy burden
- so sorry to hear of
- sorry that he is not well
- sorry to hear that
- very difficult time for you
- with all you have to do
2 Reassure the reader of your support.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- If you feel that you need some time off to attend to your daughter's needs, I would be happy to arrange for a temporary replacement until you can get back on your feet.
- When it rains it pours! Give our best to John. We are relieved to hear that he is recovering so well from the accident.
- If there is anything I can do to lessen your workload while Jane is recuperating, please let me know.
- Of course, we all know that Jane couldn't have left things in more responsible hands than yours.
- Eric's health is your top priority, so it's important that you spend as much time with him as you feel is necessary. John Doe has already offered to assume your responsibilities while you are away.
- You are an inspiration to us all. Please let Jane know how very sorry we are that she is not feeling well.
- If I can help you out at all, please let me know.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- admire your ability to
- an inspiration to us all
- assure you of our concern
- give our best to
- how very sorry we are
- if you need any help
- if you feel that you need
- if there is anything we can do
- is your top priority
- is important that you
- lighten your work load
- must be a real challenge for you
- not an easy time for you
- offer our support
- please let me know
- should be your top priority
- spend as much time as you need
- to attend to his needs
- to lessen your workload
- until you get back on your feet
- while she is recuperating
- will cover for you
- will be happy to
- would be happy to arrange
3 Close with best wishes.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- I hope that she regains her full strength quickly.
- We will be happy to help out in any way we can.
- We look forward to hearing from you soon.
- Both Rob and I sympathize with your situation and pray for Jane's full and speedy recovery.
- If you would like to take some compassionate leave, feel free to take as much time as you need. In the meantime, you are very much in our thoughts.
- If there is anything we can do to make things easier for you, please let us know.
- As your friend and colleague, I offer my support and sincere wishes for Jane's speedy recovery.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- are looking forward to
- are very much in our thoughts
- are praying for her
- as your friend and colleague
- as much time as you need
- back to normal soon
- don't worry about
- extend our best wishes
- for her speedy recovery
- full and speedy recovery
- hearing from you soon
- hope she will soon be
- if there is anything we can do
- in our thoughts and prayers
- let's hope that
- our sincere wishes for
- our thoughts are with you
- please let us know
- regain his full strength quickly
- soon be back on his feet again