Example Letter #1
When our daughter Mary told us you were ill and would miss work, we were understandably upset, but we are thankful that your absence will be only for a few days. You have been Mary's favorite (and in our opinion best) teacher. She and some of the other students are making get-well cards for you. We, too, would like to wish you a speedy recovery. Mary has promised to "learn real hard" while your substitute is teaching. Best wishes.
Example Letter #2
This illness has come at a particularly difficult time when you and the children were just getting acquainted. We hope you will soon be able to return to where you left off. In the meantime I know the substitute is working very hard and many of the parents are trying to help in the classroom. We all wish you a speedy recovery and look forward to your return.
Example Letter #3
This so-called "substitute teacher" arrangement won't do at all! We want you back in our daughter's classroom! Is that understood?
Seriously, Mary says all the children miss you very much, and we all want you to get well as soon as possible. We know pulmonary infection is no laughing matter, so please accept our sincere wishes for your good health. Some of us are helping in the classroom, but if there is something more we can do, please drop the hint.
Example Letter #4
Just when Eric was beginning to enjoy learning, you go and get sick. I already miss you. I want you to know how much you have helped Eric. He loves you. We love you. Get well soon.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Express your concern.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Eric just told me of your recent accident and hospitalization. All of your students will miss you greatly.
- We just received a letter from Principal Doe notifying us of your recent illness and temporary absence from school. We are so sorry to hear of your misfortune.
- Eric reports that although Principal Doe made arrangements for a qualified substitute during your absence, the children miss you already.
- I was so sorry to hear of your accident. All of the children are going to miss their favorite teacher!
- Mary was distraught when she arrived home from school today. When I asked her what the matter was, she explained that Mrs. Doe had gone away and now she would not be able to finish learning how to read.
- On behalf of all of your students in fifth period English, I am asking you to get well and hurry back ASAP!
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- are all deeply concerned about
- are sorely missed
- during your absence
- hope you get well soon
- hurry back ASAP
- it's too bad that
- just learned about your
- on behalf of all the teachers
- on behalf of all of your students
- principal informed us that
- sorry to hear about your
- students are missing you
- substitute is doing his best
- such an unpleasant experience
- temporary absence from school
- the children miss you
- was so sorry to hear about
- were distressed to learn that
- wish you a speedy recovery from
- you are in our thoughts and prayers
2 Reassure the reader of his or her value to you both as a friend and as a teacher.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- Although I trust that your students will settle down after adjusting to the substitute teacher, we will all be looking forward to your return.
- As parents we have grown to depend upon you and the quality education you are providing for our children. Thank you for the excellent job you are doing.
- It is difficult to replace, even for just a few days, someone as creative, talented, and caring as you.
- I will be happy to volunteer some of my time in the classroom while you are recuperating and will speak to the principal about it tomorrow.
- I am thrilled to see the change that has taken place in Mary this year. As a direct result of your patience, skill, and concern, Mary's confidence has increased and she is excited about learning, so please return soon.
- Mrs. Doe doesn't stand a chance filling in for you. We are trying to be polite, as you requested, but let's face it, you are irreplaceable!
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- appreciate all your efforts
- appreciate the excellent job you are doing
- are quite irreplaceable
- are concerned about you
- are in our thoughts and prayers
- children are coping well
- creative, talented, and caring
- difference you have made
- for the excellent job you are doing
- have grown to depend upon you
- how much you do for
- is excited about learning
- look forward to
- mean so much to all of us
- miss your entertaining lectures
- miss their favorite teacher
- the quality education you provide
- think the world of you
- to having you back
- to your return
- want to thank you for
- your patience, skill, and concern
3 Offer your support and best wishes.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- If I can help you in some way, please don't hesitate to call on me.
- Take advantage of this time to rest and recuperate; before you know it you will be back in the thick of things.
- If I can help your replacement adjust to a classroom full of new faces, I will be happy to do so. I have called her to offer my help.
- Take care and hurry back. Mary misses you already.
- Mary and I would love to see you when you feel well enough to have visitors. Perhaps there is a good book we could bring along to keep you company after we leave?
- We need you back in a hurry, so get well soon!
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- any way I can help
- before you know it
- concentrate on getting better
- enjoy the peace and quiet
- feel free to call on me
- get well soon
- hope you are already feeling better
- in the meantime, take advantage of
- look forward to
- misses you already
- please don't hesitate to call if
- rest while you can
- seeing your smiling face again
- the kids want you back
- things are in good hands
- this time to rest and recuperate
- whatever we can do to help
- when you would like to have visitors
- when you are feeling well enough
- will be happy to
- will do whatever we can
- wish you all the best
- would love to