Example Letter #1
I have just learned of your divorce and want you to know I am here to offer support. I know it may be one of the hardest things you will have to endure in your life. Please know that there is still a lot to look forward to. You know I have been divorced five years, and with time the pain does go away. Know that I care about you and want you to be happy.
Example Letter #2
I feel sad hearing that you and John are separating. Your heart must be broken. Divorce is such a difficult thing. Please know that I will always be your friend regardless of your marital status. I am here for you if you need a confidant.
Example Letter #3
My heart aches for you at this trying time, and I felt that I must let you know how deeply sorry I am about your divorce. I know this must be a painful experience, and I hope it will not be long before the clouds start to lift. I don't want to intrude, but I do want to be a supportive friend. Please call if you need anything or if you just want to talk.
Example Letter #4
I heard about your decision to divorce John and want you to know that my thoughts often are with you both.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Express your sympathy briefly.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- We were surprised and deeply sorry to hear that you and John are divorcing.
- Now that your divorce is final, I am sure you must be going through a very difficult transition.
- We are sending you and Jane a copy of this letter to let you both know how deeply sorry we are to hear of your divorce.
- My heart aches for you at this very difficult and challenging time.
- I was deeply disturbed when your mother told me that you and John are separating.
- As a lifelong friend and confidant, I felt it necessary to write you this letter hopes of persuading you and John to reconsider your recent separation.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- concerned that such a promising marriage should not endure
- helping each other in times of crisis
- in hopes of persuading you to reconsider
- know you are taking this step after serious consideration
- know that you had hoped to iron out your differences
- let you know how deeply sorry we are
- must be going through
- realize you would not take this step lightly
- sorry that life has held such
- sorry that things didn't work out
- sorry you have to go through this difficult time
- such a painful experience for you
- this could not have been an easy decision
- this very difficult and challenging time
- very painful experience
- very difficult transition
- very stressful time for both of you
- was deeply disturbed to hear
- was not aware you were having serious problems
- were surprised and deeply sorry to hear
- were shocked to hear
2 Offer the reader your sympathy and support.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- After years of relying on a partner, facing life as a single person can be scary. Still, change often brings growth.
- We all begin marriage with a "happily ever after" vision of the future, and when things don't work out as we had planned, it seems as if the world is caving in on us.
- I am deeply concerned that such a promising union should not endure.
- I know you both well enough to know that you would not make this decision without considering the consequences. If I could, I would dissuade you from your decision, as I know firsthand the pain and frustration it breeds.
- We have written a short note to John as well to let you both know that we are eager to help in any way we can.
- I am confident you will emerge from this transition with a new outlook on life and an improved sense of self-worth.
- We want you to know that we still think the world of both of you and hope that you will continue to accept our friendship.
- For your sake and the sake of your children, please give the separation further consideration. But whatever your decision, I will always remain your steadfast friend.
- Please know that I have only your best interest in mind, and that I will support you in any way I can in the months ahead.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- after years of having a partner
- all hope to live "happily ever after" but
- all begin marriage with
- can seem as if the world is caving in on us
- can be very frightening
- can seem very lonely
- can be scary
- care deeply for both of you
- confident you'll come through this transition well
- eager to help in any way we can
- facing life as a single person can
- feel free to call on me
- hard to close a door on so many years of your life
- have written a short note
- have also written
- have only your best interests in mind
- have been going through a difficult time
- hope you both land on your feet
- hope that you will find great happiness in the future
- hope you will both think this through very carefully
- hope your differences won't interfere with our friendship
- hope you will continue to accept our friendship
- know that you have good friends
- know firsthand the pain and frustration
- like to offer you a sympathetic ear
- never realized that you
- offer you my assistance and support
- realize that you have given this step careful consideration
- reconsider before things are finalized
- sorry things didn't work out for you
- still think the world of both of you
- things don't always work out as we plan
- thoughts and prayers are with you
- were suffering friction in your relationship
- were coping with serious problems
- whatever your final decision
- whatever your decision
- will always be one of my dearest friends
- will support you in any way I can
- with an renewed sense of your own worth
- with a new outlook on life