Offer Sympathy For the Death of a Child • Example Letters, Guides and Samples
A letter offering sympathy for the death of a child respectfully acknowledges the reader's misfortune while offering comfort and support. Be brief, honest, and sincere as you write the message by hand using personal stationery.
How to write this sympathy letter:
- Express your sympathy briefly.
- Acknowledge what a difficult time this is for the reader, and express your conviction that the reader gave his or her best to the child.
- Offer further sympathy and support.
Example Letter #1
I read and reread the article in the paper this morning telling of the death of your baby. We do not know why these things happen. You can be comforted by the fact that your child was so beautiful and so loved by both of you while she was with you. Please know of my sympathy and caring.
Example Letter #2
News of Eric's passing has stunned our entire family. Our deepest condolences to you and your family at this heart-rending time. Eric's passing is particularly poignant because he was so bright and active. Our own son, John, looked up to Eric as his hero. Eric was the kind of young man that the younger boys wanted to imitate because he was so talented and friendly to everyone. He was a credit to his wonderful family. We will miss him very much.
Example Letter #3
I can't imagine the terrible loss you must feel at the death of your young son. I hope you will feel somewhat comforted in knowing that you couldn't have been more caring and supporting parents. His life was a blessing to all who had the privilege to know him.
We offer our deepest sympathy and open arms during this painful period.
Example Letter #4
I cannot imagine any pain more severe than that suffered when a child dies. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I will be in touch with you by phone shortly. John and I are available to help in any way we can.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Express your sympathy briefly.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- I was shocked and saddened to learn this morning of your recent loss.
- Yesterday evening, with deep regret, we learned of Eric's passing.
- Words seem so useless at a time like this, but I felt I should let you know that we share your pain and grief.
- What a terrible loss you have suffered, Jane, to lose such a young and promising child.
- We at Centerville High School were very sorry to hear of the death of your son.
- The loss of your daughter comes as a shock to us at the Racquetball Club.
- We extend our deepest sympathies to your entire family on the death of your infant son, Eric.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- accept our most sincere condolences
- deeply grieved this morning to learn
- deeply grieved when I think
- express my deepest sympathy
- extend our deepest sympathies to you on the
- extend my sympathy
- extend our heartfelt sympathy
- has shaken us terribly
- have been thinking of you every moment since I learned
- is with sincere regret
- let you know we are thinking about you
- my heart goes out to you
- on the passing of your
- share your pain and grief
- shocked to hear of the death of your
- so sorry to hear of the loss of your
- such a cruel blow
- the tragic accident
- this sad occasion
- to you and your family
- was stunned yesterday to hear
- was so sorry to hear that
- was saddened to hear of
- were shocked and saddened
- words seem so useless
- your sad loss
2 Acknowledge what a difficult time this is for the reader, and express your conviction that the reader gave his or her best to the child.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- No parent should have to suffer the loss of a child, especially a child so young. It is from my own experience that I understand how empty you must feel without her.
- I know Eric admired and respected you deeply. He spoke so often of you in such complimentary terms.
- Mary was the kind of daughter we all would have been proud to call our own. She radiated all of the finest qualities, which is a credit to your love and teachings.
- Only one who has lost a fine, young son can know the pain of your loss.
- The faculty, administration, and students will sorely miss his presence here.
- We recognize that our loss pales in comparison to your own, yet we will miss Mary's contagious smile and winning personality.
- We hope it will be of some comfort to know that you showered little Eric with all the love and care possible.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- a credit to your love and teaching
- couldn't have had more loving parents
- couldn't have been better cared for
- courage he showed through his therapy
- especially a child so young
- extremely painful to deal with the loss of
- gave him so much of yourself for the short time he was here
- hope it will comfort you to remember
- how much love you gave him
- how empty you must feel without
- kind of daughter any parent would have been proud of
- know that he loved you very deeply
- no parent should have to suffer the loss of a child
- only grateful that you were able to hold her for a little while
- our loss pales in comparison to your own
- radiated all the finest qualities
- short but very happy life
- special qualities shone through her physical problems
- spoke of you so often
- such losses defy understanding
- understand from my own experience
- was an outstanding young
- what a fine boy he was
- will miss him very much
- will sorely miss her presence
- you gave her the best in every way
3 Offer further sympathy and support.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- Know that I am here if you need someone to talk to during this most difficult time.
- Please let us know if there is anything we can do to be of service to you. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
- We are available and eager to help out in any way that we can. Our very best to you and Mrs. Doe.
- I hope the love and support of your family and friends will ease your pain and sadness. Please let me know what I can do to help.
- All of us here at Centerville High School wish to extend our heartfelt sympathy. Please let us know if there is anything that we can do to assist you.
- Those of us who appreciated her so much mourn her passing.
- We offer our heartfelt sympathy in this time of sorrow.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- accept our sympathy and condolences
- admired your dedicated care
- all loved her so much
- am here to be your friend
- anything we can do to help
- as a memorial to him
- be happy to fill in any gaps
- be assured of our availability
- best wishes and thoughts are with you
- comfort you to know that
- comforting to know that we are all in God's hands
- concern of your many friends will sustain you
- do call if I can give you a hand
- eager to help out in any way we can
- flowers are just a small symbol of my esteem for
- gave him all the love and care possible
- have the love and support of your friends and family
- help each other through times of crisis
- help to ease your pain and sadness
- here for anything you may need
- hope the many happy memories will bring comfort to you
- how much I hurt with you
- if we can be of assistance to you
- if you need someone to talk to
- if I can do anything to help
- know the loss must be overwhelming
- know that we too will miss her
- know that I am here for you
- many memories we will always cherish
- may you have the strength and courage to carry on
- may God bless you and your family
- offer you a listening ear
- passing will be mourned
- please let me know
- realize our loss is small compared to yours
- remember all the good times we shared
- seems hard to believe that she is no longer with us
- so many of his friends share your grief
- thoughts and prayers are with you